Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Any runners out there?

Hi,

I'm going on my 6th day, and so far I've lost 4.5 lbs, and I'm feeling really great and excited about it. Are there any runners out there, and if so how do you cope without the carbs? Judi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/230/180
BF:
Progress: 23%

It's been a while since I was a runner. About 7 years ago I went on the Atkins diet (okay, I fell off, but that's another story.)

After about 6 months on the diet I ran an Oregon event called Hood to Coast. We had a team of 12 people. Each person ran a leg of about 5 miles, for 15 miles total over about a day and a half.

Everyone was carbo-loading and even I succombed to stepping up to peanuts the day of the run. <grin> Other than that, I didn't stray from the Atkins diet (nor for training either.) I didn't have any problem. I wasn't the fastest runner, but I have short legs. I did complete all of my part, plus 1 extra leg from a guy who burned himself out on a downhill run.

If I was an olympic level athlete I would probably not be a low-carber. But how many of those do you know? I never ran out of energy for running.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 14:39

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I jog / speedwalk - I'm nothing like a long distance runner or anything, but I'm out for about 30 - 45 minutes (or treadmill in bad weather) - I eat some berries a bit before I go - some people have suggested a low carb bar, but I don't eat those - maybe because I'm not that vigorous a runner, the low carbs don't bother me - check in the exercise forum, there's a running thread in there.

Vikki
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 09:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%
Progress: 50%
Default running

I cant stick to 25gm carbs a day

i run 20 mins 3 days a week in or out

trot jog, climb cross country 4 hrs x 1day a week

weights 4 days a week full programme

running i enjoy
i have been on xenadrine efx but dont find it has
curbed my appetite although i have stuck to a 70% protein diet but as I will be hiking in the jungle
tomorrow with my dog
I stacked up today on carbs
protein drink bfst
salad nicoise lunch
pork 3oz, 3oz goose,2oz chicken, 3 ozfish
pea shoots i chinese bowl
i glass soy milk,with bowl of lotus petals and lotus seeds
then just now at 11pm 1 large bowl of biercher museli with fullfat
milk rasins,coconot strawberries etc huuuuumy plus
2 slices wholewheat bread butter 2 pats and honey
if i didnt eat that i couldnt run more than 30 mins so for my hike i need the glycogen store

I will go back to Atkins tomorrow after the hike
Im doing the X -EFX to try and loose the fat day 3 it makes
my nose itch..weired huh?
sleep fine no shakes
rich

#5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 03:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176.4/159/130
BF:41%/36.4%/?
Progress: 38%
Default trying to run

Hi, this post caught my eye, I've been building up on a running programme for the last few months.
I run twice a week and have built up to 25 minutes!! I do about 3.5 km. best I've ever done in my life.
Actually, since I started atkins I've had more energy than in the last 2 years. I usually eat a little full fat hard cheese about an hour before sporting - I also do 1 x week step aerobix and 1x week tennis lesson.

good luck!
nix