Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 14:22

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 147/142/129
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Stalled Because Of Sugarfree Sweeteners?

I'm still stalled on the induction phase of the Atkin's diet. It is now 5 1/2 weeks. I lost about 5 1/2 pounds the first week and only an additional pound in the last 4 1/2 weeks. Could I be stalled because of non-nutritive sweeteners? I am so confused about them. I know Atkin's doesn't like Nutrasweet, but according to the soda bottles, it has NO carbohydrates. So is it OK if it's not causing increased cravings??? Also, with regards to sucralose, if I'm drinking the equivalent of 6-9 packets of that a day, how many carbohydrates do I really need to count for that? I know he says to limit it to 3 packets, but I don't understand why? Is it OK to have an Atkins bar now and then when I'm out, or could that be the problem? My ketostix have shown that I'm staying in moderate ketosis, so why aren't I losing weight? Should I strive for a greater level of ketosis??? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 15:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Cease....

Take a deep breath.
The short answer to your question is yes. Artificial sweeteners, low carb bars and diet soda cause a lot of people to stall. There are a lot of theories as to why this happens, but I don't know that any of them have been proven scientifically. We just know that it happens.
Something else to keep in mind is that you don't have a lot to lose and because of that, the weight is going to come off very slowly. The last 10 pounds are always the slowest to go. You may already be at a healthy weight for your height and just in need of additional toning instead of more weight loss. Trying to get below a weight that your body feels is good for it will be difficult and frustratingly slow.
There are a lot of health benefits to low carbing besides weight loss. I'd suggest that you cut back on the artificial sweets and be patient with your body.
Eat plenty of low carb veggies with your proteins, drink plenty of water and hang in there; it can only benefit you in the long run.