Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 19:49

Plan: atkins my way
Stats: 228/216/185
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default protein in urine

Started Atkins on 1/1/03. Around the 17 of January had terrible back and side pains. I mean unbearable pain. Went to the dr. on 1/20 and was told I had small amounts of protein in my urine. Okay, I was put on an antibotic for 3 days. Pain cleared slightly by second day and on the third day, pain free. Well today I am starting to feel the same way again. I'm hoping I'm just exhausted because of being on my feet 5-8 hours a day. Anyone heard any relationship between atkins and protein in urine. Oh yeah, I drink at least 80oz. of water a day. I hope this is not related to my woe because I do enjoy LC.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 20:22

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Get a culture!

Protein in urine is not treated with antibiotics, so you must have had an infection.

Call your doc back, tell him/her that you're having symptoms again, and ask for a urine culture and sensitivity. If they did a culture the first visit, they may not have done a sensitivity. If they did, then can tell if the bug might be resistant to the antibiotic you took.

Can't think of the name of the med right now....but there is one that's used as a 3 day treatment. My doc has tried that with me twice and I've had to go back on another antibiotic to get a complete cure. The last time I took the same med, but for a full 14 days and it worked the first time. It may be that you're resistant....or it could be that the treatment period wasn't long enough.

In any event, you need to call your doc. The protein is probably as a result of the infection. But you probably should have a follow up to make sure it goes away.