Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 13:48

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 261/239.5/190.0
BF:
Progress: 30%
Unhappy Leaving Induction Phase-Have some questions please help!

I did induction for 2 1/2 weeks with a weight loss of 19.5 pounds, unfortunately I found myself everyday(the last 4 days) struggling not to reach for the oreo's. candy, ect. Then I realized I dreaded the next day on induction. eggs wanted to make me vomit, the once Mock Danish, grossed me out and I needed something different. I am fluctuating right now every day (one day up 2 pounds the next back down)

I spent my day yesterday looking for recipes that sounded interesting to me, I feel I could very easily stay with the 20 carbs a day, if I could eat something else for breakfast! Sounds silly I know but it was the truth!! So Yesterday I made some Flax seed muffins(recipe off of this web site) the only two things I do not know if they are legal on the Atkins diet was the Milled Flax which states 5 carbs and 5 fiber so it should balance itself out?? Right. How about soy flour? There is 1/4 of a cup in the batter, the rest is all legal even in induction, should these pose me a problem? I am still in lyposyslis, the stix are now a dark pink, is this a possitive result? I plan on staying with the 20 carbs per day but I need a different breakfast. Please someone comment on this matter!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I find breakfast the hardest meal too. I'm still new to LC, and am still in induction, but I'm already getting sick of the breakfast choices I've been able to come up with. I tried tuna salad for breakfast one day and frankly, it just didn't do it for me. I did have some mozzarella cheese with tomatoes sprinkled with a little olive oil one day and that I enjoyed. I also tried taking a butter lettuce leaf and spreading it with cream cheese and adding smoked salmon and some bean sprouts and then rolling it up to eat it. It wasn't traditional breakfast food, but it wasn't too bad. If I come up with anything better, I'll keep you posted!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 21:22
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

First I would comment on the ketostix. Yes that is a positive reading, but unless you are properly hydrated, the fact that its a dark pink could mean that you are dehydrated. Any pink is good. Make sure that you are drinking more water than you think possible. Like 100 oz. a day. The exercise running to the potty is an added bonus...lol.

Breakfast was horrid for me too, first because I wasn't a breakfast eater to begin with...then boredom. I eat breakfast at work cause I can't eat at the crack of dawn. I used to take boiled eggs and do the peel and eat thing...got tired fast. Then I discovered that I could peel, reheat in the micro with some ham or sausage meat cut in..or grated cheese...not bad.

Try taking deli meat...like ham or turkey. Spread cream cheese on it and roll it up. I chop olives in mine. I love them and they are allowed. My current fave, even to take to work is mini-frittatas. There is a recipe on the kitchen forum, but what I do is beat 10 eggs with a little cream, add chopped cooked sausage meat or ham or bacon, grated cheddar. Then fill muffin tin half full, bake at 325 for about 20 min. or till set. I cool and put them three in a baggie, poke them in the fridge and reheat for about 20 secs. in the micro.

It's hard to get rid of the mindset that "breakfast foods" have to be what we traditionally are used to. Eat leftovers...eat what you like as long as it's low carb.

Sam
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 21:35
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I usually eat cottage cheese mixed with a few blueberries for breakfast. It ups my carbs for the day a little, but I still usually manage to stay under 30. Check the label of the cottage cheese if you decide to try this; the carbs vary among the different brands.

Sometimes on weekends I eat eggs, but I can't stomach a heavy breakfast every day. I also don't usually get up in time to make a big breakfast before work.