Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152.5/130/110
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default hello from NM

Hi there fellow low carbers. I wanted to introduce myself and ask for your support as I begin Atkins. I am a 28 year old mom of four girls. I have been proudly married to my Air Force guy for 11 years now. I was a chubby child, thin teen, from a family of mainly overweight people. I went on depo in 1994 and gained thirty pounds the first year and half of my hair fell out. Finally got off the shot in 1998 and am still a size 16 at 5 foot, with very thin hair. As severe health problems run in my family I am trying desperatly to lose some of this weight. I am a very self concious person and am not at all happy as a large girl. I am addicted to carbs so I really did not want to go this route, but I have tried every other diet with disasterous results so I am trying this one. I honestly think Atkins is going to be the one for me. I am hyped up about trying it and keep praying to God to guide me through this. Any advice and help you could give would be wonderful. I began induction today and have a feeling it is going to be a very long two weeks!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 20:02

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Actually it could be 2 of the happiest weeks you have had in ages! Welcome to the board.

Low carbing is the way to get off the carb addiction merry-go-round. When I started, I didn't have too many problems and within a week, I could have had a chocolate cake right under my nose and only yawned.

The reason you could be very happy very quickly is that you could start losing by the 3rd day.

Plan ahead, do the shopping so you have lots of food from the Induction List in your house, and try to keep the carbs locked away or thrown out for a while. Give the kids fruit instead of carb food.

Read the book, read the book and read the book again. Especially the chapter on Induction. And the Induction List.

Drink the water and be determined to be strict and honest with yourself. The rewards come quickly in terms of weight loss and feeling better by Day 5. And being FREE from that shaky "I've GOT to eat something" feeling. I hated that.

Remember that Atkins is a cardiologist who started putting his patients on LC for their health & was amazed at how many lost a lot of weight too.

All the best.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 11:29

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post Melissa

HELLO and Welcome!
I'm not gonna lie the first two weeks are HARD. Especially if you have major withdrawals such as headache , nausea.. etc. I had major ones.. But NEVER quit no matter what. I ask that you please tough it out the two weeks... then see how you feel. I promise you.. YOU will have a new found energy and your skin will glow. I love it and recommend it to everyone. I've only been here a little over 7 weeks and am losing steadily! Best of Luck
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 11:38

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hey Mom! The weight loss is almost the bonus of this WOE, you will feel great! Sometimes the first bit is tough but not for everyone! Just stick with it and you won't regret it!!
Take care of you!
Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 00:00

BF:

Thank you for the warm welcome. So far the last three days have been pretty good. I am not used to drinking so much water so I am going to the bathroom alot more than I am used to and was up three times last night to go, LOL, but I am enjoying eating. I have been having a chef's salad for lunch at work and it has been easy to skip the junk. But I have lost some weight so i am very happy!!

Quick question though, can I eat slim jims and beef jerky on induction or are they bad? I am looking for easy to carry snack I can have in my bag ready for when temptaion to grab something quick hits me. I can have a meat snack and be just as satisfied as grabbing the cake or chips or whatever. Atkins says not to go more than three waking hours without eating but I work in a school and cant eat that often so a snack I can grab between things would be perfect.

Thanks, Melissa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 13:30

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 65/64/55 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Melissa,

I am starting induction also, so we will be together on this road, I wish you the best of luck.
Letīs get our lives back!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 22:10

BF:

Welcome Camelia! I am beginning day 5 now and I have to tell you it is rough for me right now! I am a snacky person in the afternoons after work and I cant find anything that satisfies that snack feeling, LOL. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that as of today I have dropped 4.5 pounds since I weighed Tuesday.

If I may ask, where are you from? It does not say in your profile.
Good luck to you in your weight loss!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 17:06

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 65/64/55 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 10%

Answering your question, I am a brazilian temporarily living in Argentina.
I am finishing my second day today! Feeling good, in control, but I know Iīve got a long way to go, Iīm really addicted to sugar...
Well, thatīs it for today, letīs be in touch.

Bye and good luck with tomorrow, one day at a time, thatīs what I keep telling myself.