Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 15:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/191/170 Male 6 Feet 1 Inch
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Crystaline Isomalt anyone ?

Hi,

I don't understand why, as I never really was one for the candy store 'as such' maybe a mars bar or snicker at the petrol station or a Chocolate Milk every now and then.

But I found myself at the sweetie shop and they had a whole isle of Diabetic Sweetie.

I asked what they used instead of Sugar and they gave gave me an information sheet on 'Crystaline Isomalt'.

The info sheet made pretty much the same sort of sense that a diploma level partical physics paper would my pet dog.....!

I did a search on the Atkins Site for 'ISOMALT' but came up with a single reply, it was a little difficult to understand if they recommend it or not!

Could anyone give any info please.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here's what I found using www.google.com

http://www.isomaltusa.com/whatis.htm

ISOMALT is an excellent tasting sugar replacer. Made from sugar, ISOMALT’s health benefits and stability make it a versatile and valuable ingredient for numerous foods and pharmaceuticals.

ISOMALT used in place of sugar results in excellent-tasting sweet products. ISOMALT replaces not only the sweetness of sugar but, unlike intense sweeteners such as aspartame and saccharine, which are used in tiny amounts, ISOMALT also gives sugar-free products the same volume, texture and appearance as sugar-containing products which are made with easily digestible carbohydrates such as sucrose, glucose, fructose and high fructose corn syrup .

Discovered in the 1960s, ISOMALT has been used in Europe since the early 1980s and is currently used in a wide variety of products in more than 50 countries worldwide. It has been available in the United States since 1990 in products such as hard candies, toffee, lollipops, fudge, cookie crisps, wafers, cough drops, breath mints and throat lozenges. More importantly, with respect to dental caries and the needs of people who have diabetes, ISOMALT is non-cariogenic and low glycemic. Therefore products made with ISOMALT are less likely_ to cause tooth decay and to affect blood glucose levels

Because of its lower caloric value and other health benefits, ISOMALT is useful for people who are trying to moderately reduce their total calorie intake while still being able to occasionally enjoy their favorite desserts, candy, and other sweetened foods as part of meals and snacks.

ISOMALT offers many benefits to consumers. It's increasing availability makes it easier for health educators and nutrition communicators to convince people that they can improve their diets without making major sacrifices in terms of taste and customary food patterns.

ISOMALT is made from sucrose and looks much like table sugar. It is white, crystalline and odorless.

ISOMALT is a mixture of two disaccharide alcohols—gluco-mannitol and gluco-sorbitol. Sucrose, by comparison, is a disaccharide sugar, gluco-fructose.

ISOMALT offers benefits that fit contemporary lifestyles and the latest Dietary Guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

ISOMALT expands food choices for the growing number of people who are willing to make moderate, but not extreme, improvements in their diet. It is ideal for consumers who will adopt a healthier lifestyle, as long as foods still taste good.

It seems to be a sugar alcohol They are considered as 'inert' or not causing insulin surges. But lots of people stall when they eat stuff like low-carb bars with sugar alcohols in them. They also have a side effect: they are among the most effective LAXATIVES known. So be careful to only eat the "recommended serving" or you may have to stay close to a bathroom the next day.

See also: http://www.isomalt.de/english/aktue...raudonus_e.html Look down a few paragraphs where it says "Isomalt is a wellknown sugar alcohol'.....

Last edited by tofi : Fri, Jan-17-03 at 20:52.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 02:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Great info. tofi, thanks

There's an easy-to-understand article about Sugar Alcohols on our website, which you can find by clicking on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar near the top of the page. Some of the newer SA's such as isomalt and inulin are a bit less likely to cause laxation, however they ARE carbohydrates, even if only partially absorbed. And for many people addicted to sweets .. these products will trigger intense cravings.

Proceed with caution.

Doreen