Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 00:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/157/140
BF:45%/33%/22-25%
Progress: 74%
Question Major water concern

Hi:
How do I know if I'm drinking too much water? I have always enjoyed water/seltzer . I easily drink 2-3 liters (100+oz) daily year round. I know I'm not diabetic and I don't have fluid retention (fluid swollen) legs/feet so that's not my concern. I run ~3x weekly for 30-45min. Is all this water adding to my overall weight? I'm wondering if I reduce my water intake, will that reduce the reading on my scale or will my body start retaining water believing its being water deprived. I keep reading how drinking water helps a person lose weight. At my rate of water intake, I should be way below my goal weight.

The miracle isn't that I finished . . .
the miracle is that I had the courage to start.
-John Bingham of The Penguin Chronicles
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 01:50

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I don't think you are drinking to much water. that is in the normal range for most LCers.

The minimum you should drink is the 8 8 oz's a day. I easily drink 120 - 130 oz a day.

I have seen on the board that you should not count the seltzer has part of your water - I don't know the reason for that other than them saying something about the carbination. ( I was doing this and stopped)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 04:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Water is good for you, so drink up.

Water helps you lose weight. It helps keep you hydrated, and helps flush out toxins from your system. 2-3 litres for someone who is exercising is not too much at all. There are people here who routinely drink 4-5 litres a day

As far as water adding to your weight, well yes, temporarily. Just like eating adds to your weight. If you weigh yourself before and after a meal, you'll weigh more after. If you weight yourself after drinking a litre of water, you'll weigh more. But that's temporary. Water is noit going to be the cause of long term weight gain for a healthy person.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Angela...do you know why the carbonated water doesn't count? I was asked this before and really couldn't answer ...

Anyhow, the regular clear stuff is all I drink...can't do bubbles!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 11:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Your body also needs water to properly metabolize fat, so drink up!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 16:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally posted by DDMariana
Angela...do you know why the carbonated water doesn't count? I was asked this before and really couldn't answer ...

I'm not sure I can answer either. I know that the general rule of thumb is to drink a minimum of 64 oz water, plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you have to lose. That's just water. If you drink coffee, tea, soda or anything else, it's not to be included as part of the water allocation.

Actually a lot of other LC plans will tell you similar things. For example, on WW you have a certain amount of water to drink, and only one or 2 cups of clear coffee/tea can be counted toward the water. Whatever plan, the idea is water helps with weight loss. People who are not used to drinking water might have a tendancy to go for 64 oz of fluid in whatever form, even sugar free, aspartame loaded soda, or worse, juice which is loaded with sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 23:25

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

by eating this way you are losing a lot of water and you will get dehydrated if you don't drink enough water. I don't think that there is too much of an amount that you can drink, just too little.
so drink up \~/ \~/\~/
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 01:14

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

.... thanks for the thread and all the responses!

I guess I am NOT drinking enought water!!!

Thanks!
Melis
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 07:06

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Eww I could never "enjoy" drinking that much..lol

I don't think theres such a thing as too much water either. I usually drink between 64oz and 120oz and in my case its usually too little lol So drink up
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins (basic LC) + Portion Control
Stats: 174/144/120
BF:
Progress: 56%

I think drinking water is a mindset. We NEED water and the more the better! I'm the opposite of you, I have a hard time drinking water.

I think my mindset is: I was raised on city water and it always tasted like bleach to me so I hardly ever drank water and if I did it was only to take a pill. So drinking water was never part of my life. In fact I think you drink more water per day than I did in a year.

When we moved to the country and had well water I drank more, perhaps a glass a day. That's when I started LC but it was hard to get over my mindset. I had to try to make it a habit to drink water.

We've moved again and the water I'm drinking is double filtered Brita, city water. The Brita filtering removes the chlorine taste. We filter it at the tap then pour the filtered water into a Brita filter that sits on the door of our fridge.

It is good tasting water ... but I still can not "remember" to drink water. I've tried so many mindgames and tricks to try to remember to drink water but unless WATER is on my mind 24/7 it is not a part of my life.

sooooo .... just HOW do you get yourself into that mindset in order to drink so much water?

I need help!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 11:02
Registered Member

Stats: 180/175/140
BF:
Progress: 13%

"Water water everywhere and all the boards did shrink,..."

I'm telling ya'll that although I feel much better when I'm drinking all that water, I sure find all that peeing very annoying!

Especially when I am at work, or down town, and finding a bathroom takes more time. I get a bit embarrassed when I am out with friends, and I'm finding a bathroom, sometimes every 20 minutes or so!

Oh well, less embarrassing I guess than those pounds.

Janie
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Water Woes

Hello!
I was just reading the water posts, and I know it says that you should be having 64 oz of water a day. Exactly how much is that in say mls? Or how many water bottles? Is that a litre or what??
I've been chocking it down all week. I am on day 7 of induction and I still haven't been able to make myself crave water the way I used to in the summer. I am not drinking anything else, just the water. I did have a diet gingerale yesterday but it took me about 4 hours to finish it and I was still drinking from the water bottle.
So, can someone please let me know how much in litres I should be drinking so I can measure?
Thanks for the info
Inanna
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:19

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

1 liter = 33.8 oz so 2 liters would be 67.6 oz but you should really try to drink more water if possible not less
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:28

Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Me too!

I too have a very hard time getting my water in. What I do and I am not sure if it is ok or not, but......... I buy the flavored waters (sugar and carb free) and put about 1 oz in my water.( 33oz bottle) When I do this I can drink ton of it. If this is not allowed please let me know. but for now its the only way I can do it.
Toodles.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:39

Plan: Atkins (basic LC) + Portion Control
Stats: 174/144/120
BF:
Progress: 56%

Pokey if I can remember correctly you should not include flavoured waters in your water count. Yet I do remember (from last year when I was dong LC before I fell off the wagon) that it was okay to put a squeeze of lemon in your water.

Now what the difference is I have no idea but to be on the safe side, I would suggest you do not count flavoured water and (.... here we go on the do as I say, not as I do thing), drink onlyy plain water.

Oh and I read on a LC board that if you drink cold water your body consumes energy (spelled calories) just to warm up the water.