Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/225/170 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb heart palpitaions

help me,
Ive been on induction for 19 days...working on losing 66 lbs. I run 4-5 miles a day....Ive been having heart palpitations for about a week...Im taking daily suppliments and extra patacium glucamate or something like that since today..I was taking L-Carnitine, and co enzyme thing that was the problem....What can you tell me about this or its cure?

my resting HR is 80 bps...I am extreamely healthy...really I could run 15 miles

Thank you

Toe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 14:50

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

Wow are you training for a marathon or something? If you’re not, I would recommend reducing the distance you are running. I don’t know what low-carb plan you are on or how much you are eating but most of these plans are very low-calorie and you really need to take it easy on the aerobics. I would recommend keeping your running down to an hour or less to keep from eating up your lean muscle mass. Or better yet change to a hi-intensity style of aerobics like the Body For Live program recommends. That is what I did. I was using an elliptic machine for about 45min every other day and I found that I was loosing lean muscle and I was real light headed for an hour or so after my workout. I switched to the BFL plan and felt much better and lost more fat. If you are training for a marathon I would look at adding more carbs to keep from burning up your lean muscle.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Toe!

Since we're really not in a good position here to give medical advice or diagnose medical problems, something like you're experiencing should really be checked by a doctor. It could be nothing more than an electrolyte imbalance but it could be something more serious and only your doctor who can see and examine you can tell what's really going on. If the problem persists, I'd recommend a trip to your doctor.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 15:56
Registered Member

BF:

Thanx for the suggestions....I only run for an hour as it is.....what is BFL? I am on atkins so I get alot of calories.....what if i drink a protein shake before and after the workout...would that help keep my muscle?

Thanks

toe

ps
Im not training for a marothon but my wife is

ha ha ha
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 16:53

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I would have to second Lisa N's advise about talking to a doctor. Body For Life(BFL) is a book about a training/nutrition program authored by Bill Simpson. You will see a forum on this board for it under exercise. It outlines a structured fitness program that includes weight training, hi-intensity aerobics and nutrition. I follow the weight training, and aerobics part and ignore the nutrition part(to high in carbs for me).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 03:10

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"Cardiology 101": There are 2 types of extra beats.

One originates in the ventricles, the larger bottom part of the heart. This is what pumps blood into the body and lungs. If there are extra beats there (and we all have some at times) they can be potentialy dangerous, depending on how frequent and where they fall int he cardiac cycle. People without heart damage usually have thesse occassionally and never have a problem. If there are too many of these or they happen at a particular point they can set off a very dangerous rhythm....and they must be treated.

The second kind start out above the ventricles...either in the atria (top part of the heart) or in one of the heart's pacemakers, or within the pathway that the impulse follows to get to the ventricles. These can become dangerous, but rarely lead to death or serious damage. If they get out of control you may develop a very rapid (200+ bpm) heartbeat, even at rest, and can csuse symptoms of dizziness, chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc. These have to be treated only if they become bothersome, because they can interfere with your life.

Palpitations should never be ignored. If they only last a few seconds and you have no chest pain or difficulty breathing, it's probably nothing....BUT it should still be checked by a physician. Make notes about when you have the palpitations...what sets them off, how long they last, what makes them stop, etc and bring this info to your doc. Be sure to say you are having palpitations when you call for an appointment!

Cindy

The ONLY way to diagnose where the extra beats are coming from is by looking at an EKG (ECG) tracing!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 07:11
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you...Ill make an appt monday

Toe
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 00:14

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

You should definitely check with your doctor, but one thing you might want to try is some additional source of omega-3 fatty acids. Some years ago I had a problem with increasingly frequent skipped heart beats and palpitations. Somewhere I read that omega-3's played a role in regulating heart rhythm, so I started taking cod liver oil capsules. My skipped beats quieted down almost immediately. You might want to give fish oil or cod liver oil a try.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 17:29

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Default palpatations

Hi Toe, I have had palpations for approx. 20 years. After a dozen tests over the 20 years, there is still no reason found. I'm usually ok as long as I stay far away from caffeine. I'm going to up my omega 3's as turtle suggested. Maybe they won't come back at all. Good luck at the doctor. He will probably make you wear a monitor for a day or two. It's a nusiance, but only way to check. Also, ultrasound is usually done too.

#10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 03:22

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm one of those folks who have an 'extra' beat. My heart pops in an extra beat upon inhalation. If I hold my breath I don't get the extra beat, only when I inhale. But I do occasionally get 'skipped' beats and the occasional one isn't a problem, they are often associated with stress, but sometimes I'll start getting them more often and that's *my* cue that I need to increase my magnesium (not potassium) I'll up my magnesium to about 2000 mg for a couple of days and the problem will go away. I normally take between 250-500mg of magnesium a day, but sometimes I seem to require more.