Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/182/145
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Need Help!!!! gross question inside

what i have read says that constipation is normal in the first week of induction. But what about diarehea(sp). My bowels have been losser then before i started and today they are pure water. What can i do to firm them up?? everything i know to use is carb loaded, like rice, bananas, applesause, toast. I honestly think it is the fat content in the foods i am eating, but not sure and also cant go to the dr unless i am really really sick(dont have insurance). So can anyone help me??

TIA

buffy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Pysillium husks(ground)

mix these with water and drink. This is a source of fiber that should soak up some of the extra liquid in your gut and should firm up the stool somwhat. Not to mention you need the extra fibre anyway.

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:52
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Sounds like you maybe sick. How long has this lasted and what are you eating?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:58

BF:

this actually started the day after i started induction so that would be this past friday. everyday they seem to get looser and looser. i dont feel sick at all. I am sticking to induction very well. eating eggs and bacon for BF, hotdogs, tuna, left over dinner meat, or hamburgers for lunch, and chicken beef, or pork for dinner with a small salad. I also am drinking 3 cups of decaf herbal tea with 1 pack of splenda, and 2 litters of water a day with an occational cup of chicken broth. for snacks i am having 2 slices of cheese or cucumbers.

buffy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 12:05

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Looks like you may need to up your veggies a bit - not enough fiber!

I also take psyllium husk capsles for even more fiber when needed - I can't stomach the powder.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 12:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Are you taking a magnesium supplement? That could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 12:56

BF:

magnesium supplement.....no i am not taking this...i will not take any magnesium(no form) not after having to be on mag sulfate for 4 weeks with the pg of my son. I was sick to the bone for weeks even after i was removed from it. Since I last posted i think i am getting sick. I now have a severe headache and my stomach is upset. so maybe i have the starts of the flu. so my question now...what is best to eat with the flu? I always would eat chicken noodle soup with crackers till i could hold down food again. I also will try to up my veggies to see if that might be it.

Buffy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 13:08

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Well, one gross question deserves another...

as well as being loose, are your movements oily and a light color?

This is what happens to me and the doctor said I wasn't producing enough pancreatic enzymes. You can get enzymes off the net or at a health food store. But be careful to read. I get them off the net from Thropps Nutrition. They even have a special one for high protein/low carb diets.

I also never had a problem with constipation on the lc diet. Even though I didn't have this problem the last time, I try to eat less fat now. I found that eating less fat and also eating smaller amounts seems to help.

I also read that drinking alcohol can lessen digestive enzymes.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 13:15

BF:

no to sound gross but they range in color from mustard yellow to jet black. and today they have been every hour and pure water. and no not oily at all

buffy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 13:26

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

I had that same problem for about the first week of the diet. I read on the home page that it was just my body flushing out all of the excess junk out of my body.

I still have them sometimes, but 95% fo the time I'm just fine.

Sorry I'm no help
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 14:02

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%

I had the same problem for about the first two weeks of induction, and still do if I have too many carbs and then go back to induction levels. What works for me is freshly milled flax in my morning shake. Great Omegas and fibre to boot! I believe it's your body flushing out your bowels and getting rid of excess water. Mine always goes away..... hang in there!!!! (baby wipes help with the soreness)
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 23:23
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

You're not eating low carb products with Maltitol, are you? That stuff is fabulous... BUT it can blow you up and cause copeous diarrhea if you're not careful.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 23:34

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have had the same problem when on Atkins. For years. So I take a capsule of psyllium every day. I started with 1 in AM & 1 in PM for a couple of days, then 1 in the morning was enough to keep things comfortable.

I prefer the capsules which I get at GNC or a health food store because they are easy to swallow. And they DO work.

This is just as normal as constipation. Whenever I decide to eat wheat in some form, the problem goes away, until I go back to LCing.

#14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 23:36
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Buffay,

Yes, what you are experiencing is completely normal and fairly common.

And as others Deb and Talon said, psyllium husks are the answer. (Although I'm sure flax seed also helps - just have no personal experience of it helping ). Psyllium is clever stuff: it helps diarrhoea and constipation. It softens while adding bulk to the stool.

I take the psyllium husks, others prefer the capsules. The husks are an "acquired taste" to put it mildly. I find it helps enormously to flavour the water (1 tablespoon in a glass of water daily). I use a generous amount of diet cranberry juice, you could also try lemon juice with some Splenda.

Just make sure you are drinking lots of water while you are taking the psyllium, otherwise you could wind up with the opposite problem.

All the best, Buffay, hope your problem is solved soon.

Rosebud
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 23:38
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking Now that you mention it....

Hi, Barb! I'm glad you mentioned constipation! What do you recommend for THAT? I have a feeling that if I'd be more "regular" if I was better about eating more veggies. However.. is there anything else you'd suggest?

Thanks!