Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:55
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Gym questions

I went to a fitness evaluation last night and I found out I was very weak on my left leg. I can lift 65lbs with my right leg and barely 20lbs with my left (very shakey) This has lead a change to my routines, I was told no major strength training, except alittle for my left leg (see question 1).

1. How often can I go to the gym? My roommate and I were planning 6 days a week (Sunday being our off day) Just so you now my routine is 15 minutes on treadmill at 3.0 (What ever that means) and I'm on this cross training machine that uses both your legs and arms, so far I can only do it for 5 minutes, and leg reps for my left leg only for 12 reps at 20lbs (so far).

2. How do you deal with muscle fatigue after the workout?
Am I not eating enough carbs before the work out?
Is it lack of water (I drink about a liter during the work out)?

3. Will stretching help with any of this? Thanks.

The good news is that I have no muscle pain. Just some tightness and lots of fatigue. Any imput would be appriciated.

I like the feeling I get but I want to be safe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:02

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Lessara,

Since you are just starting off, ease into it slowly.

Lift 3 times a week max for the first couple of weeks. Stretch before and after your workouts. Do at least 30 mins of cardio 3 to 5 times a week.

So you could go to the gym 6 days a week just don't lift all of those days, do some cardio and stretchs on the days you don't lift.

Major reason why is your muscles need recovery time. You will not do yourself any justice if you do not allow the muscles time to recoup after a hard workout.

For muscle fatigue, most of us up our carb intake on lift days. I take in around 80 to 100, while cardio days are at 30. You will need to play with the numbers to find what suits you.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Re: Gym questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara
I was told no major strength training, except alittle for my left leg

Did they say why you cant do major strength training?

Quote:
How do you deal with muscle fatigue after the workout? Am I not eating enough carbs before the work out? Is it lack of water (I drink about a liter during the work out)?

Are you taking potassium? I take glutamine, vitamin c and e, eat some carbs and protein within 45 minutes of weight training and 1 hour after cardio. Water quantity seems fine to me. Stretching is good... before and after.

Quote:
The good news is that I have no muscle pain.

Pain is actually good if it is in the muscles you have worked out. It means that you are working hard and the muscles will have to repair themselves and thus grow bigger = improved metabolism. Still, best to take it easy when starting out, as Agonycat said.

Lesley
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:15
Everyday Sane Psycho

Question Another question

Is a cross training a "lifting" machine or a "cardio" machine? I think its both, if it is, should I only do it for three days a week or should I only do it a little bit like the 5 minutes I did today? I'm surpised the trainer didn't explain that to me.

By the way, Thank you agonycat for such quick reply, I really appriciated it, you are the best!

I really feel I'm starting off light, if I'm wrong please tell me!
I'm to work up to 30 minutes on the treadmill (He suggested teh treadmill vs the bike because that will help balance my strength for my legs) and 15-30 minutes on the cross trainer. The fitness trainer to talked to me last night said I should not expect to meet these goals till after the new year. (Which is a little discouraging but then I didn't lose my fitness in two months so I should be patient )
I'm being reassested in February or March (When I feel ready) to see if I can start the strength training component (In addition to the left leg lifts) Can't wait for that!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:19

BF:
Default Re: Another question

Quote:
Is a cross training a "lifting" machine or a "cardio" machine

Its a cardio machine and will give you alot more for your buck than the treadmill will. Check out the calories burned on that compared to the treadmill.

Lesley
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:21

Kassie,

I posted this in someone else's journal, can't remember who's right now I think kbizou.

Initial Conditioning Phase
Intensity 55/65 percent of max heart rate
Frequency 3 times a week
Duration 20 to 30 mins
Period 4 to 6 weeks

Improvement Conditioning Phase
Int 65-90 percent of max heart rate
Freq 3 to 5 times a week
Duration 20 to 60 mins
Period small increases every 2-3 weeks for 4 to 5 months

Which is why your trainer said you may not see results until after the new year.

So go at it slow for the first couple of weeks. Then work your way up. If you get too sore or too burned out right at the start chances are you will drop out.

Working out is suppose to make you healthy and fit. It's not suppose to make you so sore you can't walk for 4 days or injure yourself
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:22
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Lesley

The fitness trainer said it was more important that I have an even amount, or close to it, of strength in my body. Having my right side so much stronger in my left is why I walk gangly (like a falling like stepping) and have hip and back fatigue.

I do take potassium with magnisium as well as cromium, multivitamin, flaxseed oil, fiber, and cranberry.

The fitness trainer said pain from muscle isn't good. I have all the muscle I need, I'm just not fit. He warns me about over doing it.
He taught me some after workout stretches.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:35
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Agonycat

Is the numbers you gave for cardio or strength training?

It appears all I'm doing really is cardio so going as often I do isn't a really bad thing to do. I just need to listen to my body and make sure I don't hurt my muscles. I have to admit exercise wakes you up better than coffee.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:36

Sounds like you have a good trainer working with you

It may seem to "light" for you, but I am sure your muscles are thinking a totally different story.

Also you have to realize another piece in the puzzle is your cardiopulmonary system.

You have to condition the heart, lungs, blood vessels to deliver oxygen more efficiently to the muscles. If you are not use to working out, chances are neither are they. Which is another reason to go into it slowly so you don't end up passing out.

I wish you much success on your new workout routine
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:38

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Default I'm curious...

Is this person giving you all of this information a "trainer" at the gym that you go to, or your doctor? I find it very odd that they would only have you do strength training on one leg. EVERYTHING I have ever read or heard had suggested that you should always work out both sides equally, as your body will naturally balance out any strength differences. I'm going to be busy at work for the rest of the day (I'm on lunch now), but I will try to do some research and see what I can find for you about this.... Maybe someone else knows where to find the info I'm thinking of????

Quote:
Is a cross training a "lifting" machine or a "cardio" machine? I think its both, if it is, should I only do it for three days a week or should I only do it a little bit like the 5 minutes I did today? I'm surpised the trainer didn't explain that to me

Sounds to me like your trainer didn't explain a lot of things to you , which makes me even more suspicious. I suggest getting a second opinion on your trainer's suggestions. Or, at the very least, checking out his qualifications. You would be amazed how many people work at gyms as trainers and have absolutely no physiology education.

In the meantime, any movement is good movement in this beginning phase of your activity. As much as I am a HUGE advocate of weight lifting, I think you might just want to stick to walking for a few weeks.... when you can do 30 mins at a good clip (for you), then re-assess yourself and see what you think your body can do next. Elliptical trainers are also great because they don't put any extra stress on your joints, and work your arms and legs.... Don't expect to be able to move mountains in only a few weeks! Training your body to move takes TIME!!!

And.. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally think a little pain is a good thing... what I mean by that is that the day after my workouts, I want my muscles to be sore. Sharp shooting pains are ALWAYS bad... but a little muscle soreness means that you've worked the muscles... always good!

Good luck with your workout!!!!
Kate

#11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:39

BF:
Default No pain, no gain

Quote:
The fitness trainer said pain from muscle isn't good. I have all the muscle I need, I'm just not fit.

Maybe that applies to cardio. But as far as weight training goes, sorry, just dont agree with that.

Lesley

Edit: Great post Kate
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:43

Default Re: Agonycat

Quote:
Is the numbers you gave for cardio or strength training?

It is for Cardiorespiratory Fitness and overall health.

If you want the true breakout here it is:

Activity Freq Intens Duration Mode
Cardio 3-5x/wk 55/65-90% 20-60 min walk/run/bike

Flexibility 2-3x/wk mild discom 10-30 sec major muscle

Resist 2-3x/wk 8-12 reps 1 set min 8-10 exercises

The things we don't tell you, so you don't run away.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 18:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Question Agonycat

This is going to sound silly but I'm so interested in the gym and exercising and all...

What does your numbers mean? I don't understand the abbriviations...

From the information I've given you so far, what should my short term goals be?
I would like: 5-6 days of Cardio up to 30 min (eventually )
3-4 days of Cross Training up to 30 min (major eventually )

(That cross training does have muscle building, my arms are sore as well as my abs and the back of my legs)

How does this sound? Is this too much for me?
Ps I added my left leg lifts to help speed up the strength difference, is this wrong? I still do my right side but just not raising the weight more... gee I hope I made sense with that
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 19:34

Default Re: Re: Agonycat

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
It is for Cardiorespiratory Fitness and overall health.

If you want the true breakout here it is:

Activity Freq Intens Duration Mode
Cardio 3-5x/wk 55/65-90% 20-60 min walk/run/bike

Flexibility 2-3x/wk mild discom 10-30 sec major muscle

Resist 2-3x/wk 8-12 reps 1 set min 8-10 exercises

The things we don't tell you, so you don't run away.

hehe Sorry there Kassie,

In English.

Cardio 3 to 5 times a week, 55-90 percent of max heart rate, for 20 to 60 mins a session, mode is whatever gets your heart rate up to the 55-90 percent mark.

Flexiblity, 2 to 3 times a week, stretch to mild discomfort, hold the stretch for 10 to 30 seconds, on major muscle groups.

Resistance training 2 to 3 times a week, 8-12 reps at a min of 1 set, 8-10 exercises for the major muscle groups.

Better?

For the heart rate calculations, I listed the formula in the heart rate thread in this forum.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Pain is not important

One of the old fallacies about weight training is that pain is good, but many people do not have pain after a workout even if the workout was quite productive. Some people will have some pain when they change exercises, but once they are regularly doing that exercise they no longer have pain. Some people get worried because 'last week it really ached' and this week they didn't have that ache. You cannot measure your workout by the pain - diet, some supplements, stretching, etc may change in some way and that will affect how your muscles react. So, if you have pain, that's fine, but if you don't, that's fine also. If you are improving in your exercises, body shape, etc then you are doing OK.