Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/140/125
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 50%
Smile TOM out of whack!!!

I'm not sure if this issue has ever come up, I cannot find a thread adressing this specifically..... so I thought I would see if anyone else has had this problem. My TOM usually lasts 3 days and is very light to moderate. I am not on any type of birth control. The problem I am having is that I am going on day 11 and the blood is bright red. I'm not bleeding to death by no means, but this is so unusual for me that I am somewhat alarmed by it. I have been LC'ing since June and have never had a problem. Is this possibly related to LC'ing?? I called my Dr.'s office and the nurse said she was not worried (of course not, it's not her body !) and asked if I wanted to go on BC pills to "regulate" my TOM . I declined and that was that. I am thinking about giving my body a "rest" from LC'ing, but hate to do that. I'm so happy with how I feel/look that I hate to change this WOL . Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 11:16
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

....I think you need to get a second oppinion...any other Doctors you could go see?

cin
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 13:10

Stats: 155/140/125
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 50%

I guess that is what I am going to have to do. I was very happy with this Dr. (OB/GYN), but their lack of "interest" was a bit disheartening. I was hoping one of the many readers to this forum may have had the same problem and that would solve my problem! Thanks for the advise.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 15:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%
Thumbs up The answer...

Well, after reading all the threads about this porblem and also experiencing the same thing happen to me and I have just started this WOE. I asked my friend who had the same thing happen to her except her gyn told her that with the diet ...it causes the estrogen levels to drop thereby stimulating the breakdown of the lining etc etc...(she is also on the pill)
I however am not and already have enough problem with my TOM lasting forvever.. She said that she bled very two weeks or so...Is there any solution to this ? Obviously, going on the pill doesn't work.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 09:40

Plan: KISS/BFL
Stats: 158/142/125
BF:
Progress: 48%
Smile here's a GREAT book for you...

There is a really, really great book about women's hormones that could help you understand what's going on with your cycle: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Perimenopause, by John R. Lee, Virginia Hopkins, Jesse L. Hanley (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books). There is another one for the menopause crowd: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Menopause. (Even if you're not to that age yet it has lots of valuable info. in it) These books are to women's health what low carb diet books are to main stream nutrition books. It's been a year or so since I read them, so I don't remember if they address your problem specifically, but I really think the general information will be helpful to you.

As for me, low carbing has begun to fix my TOM problems. After my 2nd and 3rd children were born (they're now 6 and almost 4), my cycle was every 21-23 days , not ideal! After low carbing for about 1-1/2 years (not seriously the whole time), my cycle suddenly changed to 26 days (consistently for the last 3-4 months). I'm hoping it will stretch out even more, but 26 days is a lot better than 21! What caused the change? I think I finally got below some personal critical percent body fat. I started lifting weights about 3 months ago (I'm in week 12 of my first BFL challege), and have added muscle and lost a couple of pounds of fat.

Good luck! I hope this helps you.

--Alangaud
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 15:44
Registered Member

Stats: 242/211/170
BF:
Progress: 43%

There's one more possibility. Don't know how old each of you is, but my OB/Gyn told me a long time ago that all women go through a cyclical change sometime in the late 20s or early 30s. Women used to blame it on their pregnancies, but it was actually the fact that the pregnancies took place during those years. It's possible that the changes some of you are experiencing just happened to occur at the very time you started LCing.