Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%
Default What are LC guidelines for BFL?

I have been reading all the posts regarding low carbing with BFL. Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of where I could get some detailed information on how to eat low carb while following BFL? thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 15:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Suzi there is a stuck thread at the top of this forum called "LC and BFL, tips and hints" - you'll find most of what you're looking for in that thread.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 18:44
Registered Member

Thank you Nat. I have been reading as much as I possibly on these threads today. I don't have the pp book, but plan to get it. Looks like in one posting that its 40/40/20 with 20% being the amount of carbs. Then somewhere else I read calories should be approx 10 current weight which for me would be 1150. My problem is that I started on Atkins. Lost 4 pounds and then gained it back. I don't have a lot to lose so I know it is going to be sort of slow. My guess Is that once I got comfortable with Atkins I was doing fine with the carb amounts but probably eating too much protein and fat. It was good though! Till I started gaining the weight back. I'm very familiar with BFL bookk and program. Just could never make the food part work for me for some reason. So now I want to try it with the low carb woe. Thanks for your response. I will keep reading until I get it all figured out. Can't wait to get the book for more info.

PS congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing all of your knowledge
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 19:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by suzimsm
Looks like in one posting that its 40/40/20 with 20% being the amount of carbs. Then somewhere else I read calories should be approx 10 current weight which for me would be 1150. My problem is that I started on Atkins. Lost 4 pounds and then gained it back. I don't have a lot to lose so I know it is going to be sort of slow.

suzi, BFL by the book is 40/40/20 (P/C/F), BFL with LC works out to be more 30/15/55 (P/C/F) - you tend to increase carbs from Atkins Induction level and decrease fat to compensate. Protein should be higher because of the muscle repair and nature of the aerobics (high intensity interval). It can be a little confusing!

Having little to lose, relatively speaking, will make the process seem longer. You may not lose anything. You will find your body shape changes and that you'll drop a few sizes. This is the nature of lifting heavy weights; you trade some flabby fat for tight, dense muscle.

As for the calories, 10x is a guideline that is applied so that people don't eat too little - something common to LC. Even the most restrictive weight lifting guides (Hussman, IMHO) suggest that women never go below 1100 calories. It's common to be advised to eat 1600 as a minimum. You need to figure out what's best for you. Chances are you will be hungry though.

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 22:08
Registered Member

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I thought that seemed a little high for carbs.
When I was on a low fat diet I counted calories and used 1200 per day. I probably will be able to go higher with this one. I hope so any way. I may start out at 1400 and see how that goes. I'm sure you are right about the fact that I will not lose very fast. As long as I'm losing and not gaining that is what is important at this point. I set my goal weight at 105 but really will probably feel just fine at 110. at 4'11" I just can't carry as much weight as most people and I know that 110 or 105 sounds low but its not really for me.
I just ordered the Protein Power Life Plan book from Amazon.com and should have it in a few days. I will do the best I can to get by until then. Since the gym doesn't open until 6:00 tomorrow and I have to be to work at 8:00 it will be a good day to start out with the 20 minutes of cardio. It will be nice to have shorter workouts again.
Thank you so much for helping me out ~
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 22:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by suzimsm
As long as I'm losing and not gaining that is what is important at this point.

Suzi, something else to keep in mind, it's possible the scale will say you've gained. This is why it's important to have other measuring sticks; a tape measure, a pair of test pants and before and after photos.

It's very common to see the number on the scale go up when you start lifting heavy weights. Building muscle requires tearing it down first, which causes inflamation and water retention. Gaining muscle before you see the fat loss is also common; there are weeks when the scale says you weigh more but the pants are looser. The scale, ultimately, is not your friend!

So before you start tomorrow take some measurements and write them down and try on a pair of pants that don't quite fit right now. You'll be happy you did

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 22:29
Registered Member

Thanks Nat I'll remember that! I will take my measurments in the morning even though I don't like doing it I know I will regret it if I don't. I 'll also get out the pair of pants that are a little too small, even though I have been avoiding them lately ~ its a much better sign of being fit than the scale any way. Have a nice evening~