Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 01:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/214/210 Male 72inches
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Why such rapid gain after cheat?

Been back on Atkins for a little over 3 months, and have been doing suprisningly well, averaging about 3-4lbs a week.

My question is this: Why is there such a rapid 2 to 4 lb gain the day after a one time cheat? Is this water weight? It can't possibly be fat, can it?

I've got a graph log I made up on MS Excell. It never fails, I usually take my son out to see his grandparents every other weekend, and the temptation is just too darn much, I usually end up munching some chips or a sweet one night a week. Without fail, the following Monday, the graph shows I've gained 2 or 3 pounds. A few days later, I get a 5 or 6 pound woosh going, and by the following Friday, I'm down another couple or 3 pounds.

These little twice monthly cheats may actually be helping weight loss I feel. I've not had this consistient success before on my previous Atkins experience. This time, it is like clockwork with the weekly weight loss.

It is more curiosity than anything, as I'm nearing my goal, and it hasn't stunted my weight loss much. And, it does keep serious cravings away during the week.

I've also experienced this with the Atkins muffin mix and locarb waffles, so my main concern is will I be able to have much of this stuff at all on maintenance, or will the weight keep going up with sweet tasting food? I can drink diet soda, crystal light, and all that all day long, but if I put sweet tasting low carb food in my mouth, it's all over it seems.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 07:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Why such rapid gain after cheat?

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveR
My question is this: Why is there such a rapid 2 to 4 lb gain the day after a one time cheat? Is this water weight? It can't possibly be fat, can it?

Every gram of carbohydrate you eat will attract 4 grams of water to it - this is why we call it 'water bloat'. This is also why you lose a lot of 'weight' during the first few weeks of any LC plan as you deplete your body of it's stored carbs (glycogen) and the water it holds.

As for the 'cheating' - there are a few theories on that. Simply increasing calories can help precipitate a loss. This keeps the body off balance, stops it from thinking "diet". It also helps to raise Leptin levels. Leptin is a hormone that is a rather recent discovery - it's also called the 'starvation hormone'. As you lose fat leptin levels fall. Lowered leptin levels signal the body that it's starving and perhaps it should eat a little more. It makes you hungrier. This is of course a very simplified explanation, there are many more variables involved. You can read more about Leptin and the role it plays by clicking on the link: Leptin: The Next Big Thing

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 09:03
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Great info Nat.

thanx
cin
  #4   ^