Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 17:25
Registered Member

Plan: Just reducing my carbs
Stats: 126/119/100 Female 5feet3inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Unhappy skin problem?

Hi, ive been low carbing on and off..
i've always had a skin problem.. recently i went to see my doctor and she told me i had eczema... she said diet that's high in fat, meat, especially poultry, and dairy causes skin inflammation... is this true? if so what should i do?
my skin hurts alot.. and it looks so bumpy and red.. i don't even want to go out... please help...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 00:58

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I cant help you regarding the eczema but i have had skin problems and my skin has never been better than when LCing.
Sugar seems to play havoc with me and the good oils like olive and flax seem to do wonders. I would of thought fish like salmon etc would be good for your skin but as I said I dont know about ecxema specifically. I know though my sister in law that dairy can aggravate it though so cutting milk and cheese out completly and adhering to the rest of the LC guidelines for a couple of weeks should let you know your answer.
For me LCing has cured many of my complaints and has been the cause of none
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 01:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/142/125
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Coconut5fe,

I have also heard of eczema being aggrivated by high carb diet, and is a is further exacerbated of excess yeast in the body. I would take blooms advise, and also lay of White Vinegar and Wine.

My skin has cleared up a lot, and the oils and fats in your diet should help moisturize the skin from the inside out. Sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better. Hang in there...

intanzania.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: Just reducing my carbs
Stats: 126/119/100 Female 5feet3inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

sigh... another day of work... it took me 45 minutes just to put some foundation on today... there was so many flaky skin after putting foundation on, i had to work around the affected area... i don't want to give up cheese... or the meat i eat.... i'm so upset. i look horrible... i can't even look at myself in the mirror .. i just want to cry....
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 10:27

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Well, all I can say is that my skin has never been better since beginning LC back in April. Even the occasional breakouts I used to get right before TOM no longer happen and my overall skin has become softer.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 12:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 246.4/245.4/160 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 1%

So sorry to hear about your skin. My daughter has had eczema since she was a baby and about a year ago we started using aloe vera on her skin and it has worked wonders. It has very good healing properties so should ease the inflamation that you are suffering from. We buy the leaf and scrape out the inside (which is slimy like) and rub this on the skin. A leaf costs about £3 but is worth it and lasts a long time. It really has improved my daughter's skin by about 80%.

I hope your skin clears up soon.

Madihah
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:00

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

LC had been a life saver to my face! No more acne..no more blemishes..no more bags..no more red blotches..i have perfect clear bright skin now!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:06

Plan: yo-yo
Stats: 230/190/175 Male 5'10"
BF:no clue
Progress: 73%
Default Beauty is skin deep...sorta

I have to jump on that "better skin" bandwagon (does anyone really know what a bandwgon is any way??)

Eating low-carb is the best thing you can do for your skin.

Eat lots of Salmon and Sardines. Your skin should drastically improve. Otherwise, check for food allergies.

Best,
Mark
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 09:29

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default For better skin

Take Omega Fatty Acids (fish oils) , Acidolphilus, & Amino Acids . Don't eat processed foods or starchy foods & stay away from sugar, that's why many people doing low carb diets skin looks better.

Josie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 09:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default skin problems

I had the same problem. My face and neck and chest were covered in a red, itchy, scaly rash. I believe it is a problem with arachadonic acid that is high in eggs and beef.
Taking fish oil capsulues - quite a few every day - helped tremendously.
I recently found some eggs that are high in omega 3 and hope they will help because eggs are such an important part of my diet. Eating beef that is lean is also a help.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 11:14

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 213.5/170.5/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Huh, go figure. I've always had pretty clear skin, and noticed that I've been getting more zits of late, rather than less. I've been LCing 9 weeks. Maybe it's too soon for the skin to have improved
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 23:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

My daughter's eczema responds well to aloe vera, also. Additionally, we are careful not to expose her to perfumed soaps and detergents. If nothing else helps a patch, we use hydrocortisone on it which seems to help her body overcome the problem if used only occasionally. (Doc warned against constant use for children, especially.)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 06:09

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%
Default I've had it all my life

I've struggled with eczema since I was a baby. I'm 39 now. My mom always said I'd grow out of it. HA.

Everything and anything will agravate it and it is virtually impossible to pinpoint any one thing. I've given up. I've done elimination diets, special oils, vitamins, steriods, and even chinese water torture....or so it seems. Nothing helped.

I continue to rely on steriod creams because that's just the way it is.

Find creams and moisturizers without fragrance. If ANYTHING burns or stings in anyway, it's irritating you. Use Dove soap (it's the best for eczema I promise you that). And blow off the foundation if your face is flaky, just use a very light dusting of powder.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 09:40

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Default I have extremely sensitive skin

Acidolphillus tablets helped get rid of the flaky patches,I was having & it even helped get rid of some pimples I had. I can't wear anything w/ fragrance in it I can't even use regular deodorants, because they'll drive me nuts.
I'm not sure if I posted this before but if I did, Sorry.

Josie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 10:03

Plan: CALP
Stats: 149/142.5/100 Female 5'0"
BF:

I'm so glad to see this thread. I also get excema, have all my life. At 34, I found out that it was cow milk causing it. I had to get rid of all foods with any milk in them. Goat milk and cheese don't bother me at all. Corn is now causing it.

I had to self diagnose, the Dr just looked with a sad look and said, "hmmmm" and prescribed hydrocortosone, over the counter isn't strong enough to help. I second everything said here, you simply have to discover what helps you. Everyone seems to be very different, good luck.