Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 03:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:Dunno
Progress: 0%
Default Is Keto stick a must?

I'm loosing weight extremely slowly. Does that mean I should run out to get Keto stick to make sure I'm in ketosis? I have been on this WOL for about 2 months.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 04:57

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Personally I think those things are a waste of money.

So many different things effect the outcome of the test, that it makes them more frustrating than it needs to be.

You never know when you read a negative for ketones because of:
1) age of the strips in the bottle
2) steam from a shower has ruined the strips
3) exercising burned off excess ketones to where there is none left to measure
4) Did you leave the strip a little longer out of the bottle than you should have before using

You are really close to goal so you will not lose weight fast. The only people that lose lots of weight fast from the very start are the ones that have a lot to lose. I barely lose a pound a month at this stage but, I am learning to maintain a set weight for long periods of time AND the scale isn't going up.

Be patient. This isn't a race to see how fast you can lose. This is all about eating healthy and returning your body to a proper weight.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 12:35

Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:Dunno
Progress: 0%
Talking I am patient and it's finally paying off!

Agonycat,

You're right. Good things will come to those who wait. I can't believe what the scale was registering this morning. Another lb lost even without the KETO stick. That means I've lost a whopping 7-8lbs since beginning this WOE on 9/6/02.

I guess I must be doing something right. Anyway, I feel really good and will be heading over to the gym. I just wanted to share this good new with my mates. Togehter, we can all do it!

#4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 12:47

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 213.5/170.5/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I used the Ketostix a lot at first. I was, in fact, obsessed with them. I've since gotten over it and use them once a week these days, and only because I have a bottle sitting around. Another thing that Atkins says can give a false reading is that TOM. I didn't think about the exercise burning them up, which may explain some of the inconsistencies I experienced.

Also, thanks guys on the reminder about being patient. I've lost "only" 7 pounds in 6 weeks. Only 7 pounds? Didn't I read somewhere that 6 pounds is a gallon of fat? What was I thinking? You're right, a WHOPPING 7 pounds is more like it, Mochadaw!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 16:04

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Congrats to both of you for your losses so far

BTW on the stix... some of the B vitamins also will affect the strips. This is due to the "stains" that turn the urine those floresicent colors.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 08:30
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I agree....those darn stix will drive you nuts!!!

cin
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

This may sound weird...but for me I don't need those stix because I can actually smell when I'm in ketosis. It's a very sweet smell - very distinctive.

I know, kinda gross huh? But it's a lot cheaper and more accurate...after a while you just get used to how your body acts on this diet

Way to go so far!!

-Jinkster
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 12:20
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hmm

I taste a metal like flavor in my mouth during ketosis. I guess it can be different in each person. I think the biggest thing is lack of appetite. At least for me
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 14:53

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Well, everyone is saying the strips are a waste of money (which may be true) but I bought them yesterday, even though I've been low carbing for a month now. Seeing that lovely pinkish hue did make me feel comfortable though, just knowing for sure that SOMEthing's up.

I also get a metallic taste in my mouth. Not really unpleasant, if anything it helps me to drink more water.

Quick question:

Does anyone know a good use for these testing strips? I mean, assuming they work correctly, they should be able to be used to find out what the highest level of carbs is before one stops being in ketosis, right?

Any input on this manner would be nice... so I don't have to waste the strippies.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:04

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile

Hi I use them to make sure I am on track. I stopped the strips and weighing thinking I was good shape gained 12 pounds. I am on track again and will use them and will weigh at least once a week. I don't eat sugar but love potatoes and bread. They are just a reminder to me to keep an eye on what I am doing no more closing my eyes it's dangerous out there.
Pat S.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:14

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default dangers

Yeah, I'm already (after a month) starting to feel more lax about counting and measuring and such things. I weigh obsessively (mainly to get my money's worth on the body fat scale I bought) but as I add foods, am starting to not concentrate on counting carbs as well as I used to. I guess Pat's experience can teach a lesson about that.

Good luck getting back on track!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:18

Stats: 274/267/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default i'm hoping the ketostix will help me stay on track

the fact that i have to do the test every night might make it harder to binge (wishful thinking??)

gail
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
the fact that i have to do the test every night might make it harder to binge (wishful thinking??)

If that is what keeps you going - then go for it!

I personally have not tested once since I started this diet in January - hubby-dearest tests at least once a week if not more. It works for him to see that bit of color. For me, I know that I'd feel depressed/guilty/out of sorts if I tested and it wasn't pink. So if I am losing weight and/or feeling good - that is enough for me.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 198.5/185/130
BF:
Progress: 20%

if you are dehydrated, the ket sticks show up as purple as well. my friend's always staeyed purple and she was stalling...strange!