Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 15:07

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default How do you end your reward meal?

After my reward meal I just want to keep on eating... How do you stop???
Thanks,
Tori
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 15:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It's a bit hard in the beginning but after a while you don't care that much about eating. At the beginning set a timer on yourself, time can pass without you noticing. Also do not stop and start your meal again later for dessert. Have your meal and then dessert.

Also, is your reward meal balanced? That way you won't get out of control. Also check your other meals for hidden carbs. Protein shakes and bars are not allowed on this diet because of possible reaction to sugar alcohols. Also diet soft drinks, sugarless gum and, in fact, all sugar substitutes are also limited due to insulin reaction.s A carbohydrate addict is very insulin sensitive to sugars and sugar replacements. If you get them at your other meals, your insulin will surge and your appetite can get out of control at your reward meal. Remember insulin is the hunger hormone.

It is important to follow the one hour Reward Meal limit, that is what controls your insulin levels. You get used to it after a while. Also if you're eating in a restaurant, have them bring appetizers and entree together. When you are half done with your meal, order dessert.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 11:07

Plan: CAD
Stats: 178/166/145
BF:
Progress: 36%

are the EAS AdvantEdge bars bad?I have been using them at one of my meals because they stay with me for so long...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 12:34
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Yup!!

If you are a true carbo addict these bars cause insulin surges and stalls because they contain sugar alcohols which carb addicts react to.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 15:10

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 180/158/145
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have to eat out a lot due to work. Any suggestions on a balanced meal???

amy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 16:43
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Amy

If you eat out a lot at work as part of your job, you might want to consider making your reward meal lunch. Are you asking about a balanced reward meal or a balanced non-reward meal?

A balanced reward meal starts with salad and then protein, vegetables and carbs (including alcohol and dessert) in approximate 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 proportions.

A non reward meal can be a salad of allowed vegetables, any protein w/o breading or fillers and additional allowed vegetables.

Many restaurants will substitute an additional salad or side vegetable to replace the starch upon request.

When you do eat at restaurants for your reward meal, just be sure not to go beyond the allowed 60 minutes. Don't touch your beverage until your food comes, order your appetizer to be delivered with your meal, and order your dessert when you are half finished with your entree.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 16:59

BF:

Thank you so much. Thats helps me out!!!

Thanks again!
Amy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 18:18

BF:
Default Zuleika question for you..

what can I have instead of the protein bars for a meal on the go?Sometimes I need a portable lunch and something that won't spoil..TIA
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 18:27
Finding the Pieces

BF:

VBW

Always carry some nuts/seeds/beef jerky with you or in your purse or briefcase for emergencies or for hunger when you're on the go. I can't tell you how many long meetings and airports I survived on plan with jerky/macadamia nuts in my pocket/bag!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 19:30

BF:

but what about for a meal?sometimes I need more than that
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 07:54
Finding the Pieces

BF:

VBW

Sorry, I'm not going to give you permission for bars/shakes. You really wouldn't like the reaction and the loss of control! Just up the portions of nuts/seeds/jerky if they are completely replacing a meal.

You can always have cheeseburgers without the bun, fried chicken without the skin, broiled chicken breast sandwich without the bun, salad w/o carrot shreds, meat sandwiches w/o the bread. Avoid prepared tuna/chicken salads with mayonnaise as they often contain sugars and bread crumbs to extend them. At luncheon meetings where cold cut platters or sandwiches are offerred, I often make a sort of salad using lettuce, tomatoes, sandwich meats topped with a mayonnaise and mustard mixture.

Use your imagination and ingenuity! Remember, eat until you're satisfied. Your health and control of your appetite and insulin levels should be your primary concern.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 09:39

BF:

You are so right to NOT give me permission to eat bars/shakes!!I am plain lazy..I admit it!!Anything for convienence..ok..off to buy nuts,seeds,and beef jerky!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:19

BF:

Just one more question I promise!!!! I am still trying to figure out the alchole thing, I know I am suppose to have it during my one hour reward meal, but after work sometimes a few of my friends and I go out for a drink before heading home. Is it okay to have one or two low carb beers to substitute in for the last comp. meal. I am usually not hungry the rest of the day after my reward meal at lunch so I sometimes don't even eat again until morning. So taking in the few beers shouldn't hurt to bad right?????

amy
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:05

BF:

well, I guess if the beer comtains no sugar and has less than 4 carbs,it should be ok..I always thought that beer increases the insulin though..maybe you should rethink your RM and on the days you want to have a few beers after work,then have them with the RM..
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:07

BF:

Thanks!

amy