Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 23:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/126/120
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question Am I trying to achieve the impossible?

I started Atkins two months ago and lost about five pounds in the first two weeks. I haven't lost any weight since and am looking for potential reasons.

I'm eat between 25 and 30 grams of carbs every day and around 1500 calories, keeping track of my intake on fitday. I do moderate exercise (cycling, weight lifting, walking) about four times a week.

I've cut out cheese and cream, eat all my veggies and eat Atkins bars no more than twice a week. I drink a minimum of 68 fl oz of water a day.

I'm thinking it might be because I'm trying to push my weight below my set point. I weigh 125 pounds. If I cut calories below 1500 a day I feel hungry.

Does anybody have any strategies for breaking through this barrier or should I just be happy with where I am?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 00:18
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Liftergal,

I agree, you are definitely trying to go below your "set point." Please don't try to lose any more weight!

At 5'9 and 126 pounds, you are by some determinations already underweight. If you lose much more weight, you will be putting yourself at serious risk of major health problems.

In fact, I have to wonder just why you wanted to lose weight in the first place. At 130lbs, you were at the very low end of the normal weight range. If you have some problems with your body image, I would suggest to you that you seek out counselling to help you improve your self esteem.

You are certainly improving your general health by low carbing. I would suggest you consider increasing your carb level to a maintenance level.

All the best to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 01:43

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Sounds like good advice!
I'm 5'6" and a goal weight of 126 will put me at 19% bodyfat, the absolute lowest in the 'healthy' category. Only athletes go lower and they often suffer with no periods, osteoporosis etc.

So - if you're not trying to lose any more weight, you're on maintenance and can have that cream and cheese. I'm not surprised that you're hungry if you cut your calories below 1500, so am I, its not enough to maintain you and your activity level.

As Rosebud says, low carb is good for you anyway and the exercise is good for you too. The weightlifting will gradually re-shape your body, and may still replace some remaining fat with muscle, which is probably all you want.

All the best and take care, Jay
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 07:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good advice from all here. Trying to go below a healthy body weight/BMI will come at the price of sacrificing lean body mass (your muscle tissue!) which is something you really don't want. Less muscle = lower metabolism (something else you really don't want!). I'm 5' 3" and my original goal weight was 125, but my lean body mass was measured at 130. For obvious reasons, it would be foolish for me to try to get below that unless I'm willing to sacrifice lean body mass for a lower number on the scale. Personally, I'm not willing to make that trade, so I raised my goal weight to 140 and may even stop at a higher weight than that depending on how things look when I get to 150 or so.
Please consider the very good advice already given and try upping your carbs slowly until you get to maintainance levels with continued exercise. I think you'll be pleased with the results.