Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 06:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/258/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Scary Fat Grams...

Ok, I'm worried about the number of fat grams I'm having while LCing. Seems drastic.

How much on average should an average LCer be having?

I'm almost scared at the amount of fat Ive been eating. My boyfriend who's also on atkins thinks its way too much. Maybe were just over reacting because we've been trained not to eat fat our whole lives, but it seems like alot on an average day.

I would really appreciate comments on this. I dont want to damage my weight loss with TOO much fat.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 08:01
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi there Kelly Jean,

Yes, it does seem scary to be eating this much fat after all the brainwashing we've heard about low fat. But research shows that fat is only harmful when eaten with starches and/or sugars.

You should be aiming at having about 70% of your calories as fat. It is virtually impossible to eat too much fat - the body has a built in system of losing the extra fat. If ever I am constipated, eating more fat does the trick!

If you look at this previous thread, Confused and Scared to Eat Fat, there's a good explanation of it all.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 09:02

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Also...

Please note that the KIND of fat you are eating is the healthy sort...mono and polyunsaturated...maybe even the omegas 3 and 6 depending on WHAT you are eating. You probably won't be eating 70% of saturated fat (margarine, crisco, etc.) but are getting fats your body needs and uses effectively. Meats are approximately 40-50% monounsaturated. Nuts, seeds, avocados, those are almost all good fats. It sounds like you are keeping track in some sort of software...see if it will adjust to show you TOTAL FAT and SATURATED FAT (mine does). My averages are 70-75% of total calories are FAT but only 20-25% are SATURATED FAT. It's a lot but it's healthy!

Jo
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 09:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The only unhealthy fat is a trans fat. Saturated and mono unsaturated fats are healthy and good for you. They are stable when heated and good for cooking with. Polyunsaturates require a little more 'care and handling' and include vegetable oils and the Omega 3 and 6's (EFA's - essential fatty acids). You should try to avoid frying with polyunsaurate (vegetable) oils - they are unstable and heating renders them quite similar to a trans fat. And never heat your Omega 3 oils (keep them in the fridge, in fact).

It takes time to undo the Low Fat "fat is bad for you" brainwashing - but it happens

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:17

Stats: 278/258/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile THANK YOU~

You all have really relieved my worries. I guess I'm not doing that bad afterall. I just started using a program called "Life Form" and it does show the breakdown of the fat. :) ( btw, life form is great!)

Total Calories: 1612

Fat 103g 60%
Saturated Fat 28g 17%
Carbohydrate 19g 3%
Dietary Fiber 7g 0%
Sugars 3g 1%
Protein 141g 37%

As I was typing this out I realized i'm not NEARLY eating enough calories. I weigh 260 and 260 x 10 is NOT 1612! And If i subtract Dietary Fiber from the 19g of Carbs thats only 12. And like 5 grams came from an Atkins bar that the bar says shouldn't be counted. So that would only leave me with 7 carbs for the day. I dont think thats right. *shrug* But I guess it could be. I cant even imagine ingesting another 1000 calories without eating fast food. And I guess I need to eat more carbs? *sigh* This is why I think i'm going to stay on induction a little longer. I want to learn how to get this thing down pat before I go changing things. (I'm only on day 9 though :) )

Feel free to look at my journal. (No one's commented yet!)

Last edited by KellyJean : Mon, Sep-09-02 at 18:43.