Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/257/185
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question Low carb and trying to conceive?

Hello,

My husband and I are trying for a baby and I was wondering if a low carb diet will have any effect one way or another on conceiving?

Also does anyone have any info in low carbing while pregnant? Is it safe???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 18:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Sugarfree1!

Low carbing shouldn't have any effect on your ability to conceive. For those with PCOS, it may actually improve the odds! Dr. Atkins does not recommend low carbing at weight loss levels during pregnancy, but you should be fine on maintainance levels. It might be wise to start taking a pre-natal vitamin now; they have lots of good things in them to get you healthy before you conceive and also help you have a healthy pregnancy. I wish you great success!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 19:46

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I agree with Lisa. It would be a VERY good idea to take an extra Vitamin B complex tablet every day. Women who are trying to conceive should have a good level of folic acid WELL BEFORE they actually conceive.

This vitamin helps the baby grow brain and spinal cord and nerves. A few years ago, a study in the UK found that giving women folic acid (preferably in a B complex tablet) cut down the incidence of neural tube defects such as spina bifida by 72%.

When this finding became very clear, the trial was halted and this vitamin supplement became standard practice all over the world. So get some B complex vitamins. These vitamins are water soluble so you cannot overdose. The excess just goes out of the body in the urine.

Low carbing may help people who have an insulin related disorder called PCOS that makes conceiving difficult. For normal people, it probably doesn't have any effect.

Even before you think you might be pregnant, go to the higher levels of good carbs that are found in Pre-Maintenance or Maintenance levels. NO research has yet been done to find out if ketosis has ANY effect on a developing baby, so right now, the recommendations I have read are to stay at Maintenance levels which will not produce ketosis.

If you choose carbs which are on the LC lists, or are complex rather than simple (no sugars, refined flours) you will probably be just fine. I hope it works out soon for you.

The more
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 19:52
Registered Member

BF:

Tofi, Lisa,

Thanks for the advise!! I'll stay at the higher end of low carb for a while and see what happens.

I've been a good girl for a while. I don't drink or smoke, no caffine and I've been taking my pre-natals every day for the past couple of months!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:47

Stats: 279/235/190
BF:
Progress: 49%

I was gonna comment on this thread but decided not to so I will just say Best Of Luck to you and Practice Makes Perfect.

Ok sorry I can't resist....

What I do to help stimulate conception with my wife is....

I answer the door wrapped in Saran wrap when she comes home from work.

Jeff
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 18:14
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by gc1
What I do to help stimulate conception with my wife is....

I answer the door wrapped in Saran wrap when she comes home from work.
OMG!!! Jeff, you are too funny!!!!