Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%
Question slipping on induction

Im pretty fired up about starting on the Atkins program and started yesterday. Finding that Im actually eating better and more satisfying food than I was before! Meat! lol

Unfortunatly, a dear friend of mine has unexpectedly bought me a ticket to San Franciso for a day and mentioned wanting to go wine tasting.

I know wine isnt allowed during induction and Im a bit worried about that and chocolates and fruits (my friend and I's usual fair in SF). What happens if you mess up on induction for one day? Or have one glass of wine? DO you basically have to start over? I guess Im just wondering if I should keep trying induction until the weekend (the one day basically) and just add on another 2 weeks to that when I get back - afterwards.

Im not clear on how strict or perfectly induction must be carried out . During my normal schedule, I dont see a problem sticking to it or just saying no, but a trip to SF with no goodies is a bigger problem than I forsaw!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 14:16
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hmmm. Well, I'm going to answer your question in two ways.

1) This may not really apply to you since you've only been LCing for a few days....Maybe you should just kind of cut back on your carbs for now and then start induction in earnest when you return. That being said, there are such things as "planned cheats"... where you know ahead of time that you will be allowing yourself to have prohibited foods for the sake of ___________. You do have to know going in, however, the consequences of doing that. You may gain weight which may or may not come off easily. You will probably experience headaches, fatigue and/or moodiness. It may start a course of carb bingeing that may be difficult to break. Or none of the above may take place--it's hard to predict. So, yes, to a certain extent you may need to start all over again. You will very likely be kicked out of ketosis. If you've had noticeable symptoms of carb withdrawal, you will likely experience them again. I would suggest you try your very best to stay within the induction guidelines and just not allow a gluttonous carb-fest!! Which brings me to my second answer....

2) Holidays and vacations are often difficult for LCers to handle...ALL dieters, actually. This is a time to test your LC muscles! Ask for suggestions on how you can avoid common pitfalls (bring your own snacks), how to choose wisely from restaurant menus (can you say "Chicken Caesar Salad, please!"), and decide ahead of time how strictly you'd like to stay on the plan or how much you'll allow yourself to "cheat". I guess what I'm trying to say is that you don't have to be "vacation victim".... you are the one in control over what goes into your mouth at all times!!

Good luck!!

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Wed, Aug-14-02 at 14:21.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 15:48

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I made the mistake of starting induction about July 1st, and I was leaving to visit my parents for a week (in the wine country. My dad was a winemaker). It was difficult, but most people are pretty understanding when you explain what you're doing. And if you're really into wine, then you could just taste and not swallow... not as much fun, I know! Just stick with a little bit of cheese and salami if you're doing the picnic thing. Maybe some cucumber sticks, too? Mmmm.. brie and cucumber...

good luck! I know what that wine country dining is like!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:47
Registered Member

Default Terri and Delilah - thanks!

Terri and Delilah,

Wow - thanks for the info and help! After reading your posts I think I will keep on the plan until I go on the trip, but know that if I have some wine or fruit (Oh those fruit markets!) that I will simply "start in earnest" when I get back (in essence just adding on an exra week). I think I can handle that. At least that way I will have the "mindset" more developed even if I do lose the ketosis seniority!

Hey, Delilah, the taste and spit - now your talking! I totally didnt even think about that, duh! thanks for the reminder : P

Thanks you two for the feedback!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:54

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hello.

Well as long as you know what you are going to be cheating on, only cheat on the things you made on the "list" of things you already planned on cheating on (not too much on the list I hope).
I read that white wine is less carbs than red. Also wine is much better than drinking beer.
Hope you have fun on your trip!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 17:05
Registered Member

Default Soocee: White wine

Thanks for the tip on the white wine, SooCee. The only things on my list is the wine and the figs. No, Im not succumbing to mashed potatoes and a full-on carbo fest! Hopefully I wont have any funky withdrawals or any problems getting right back to the program.

Thanks again for the tip

"White wine.....sip, swirl, spit!"