Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:36

Plan: Curves/Heavin
Stats: 196/196/137
BF:34.6%/34.6%/25%
Progress: 0%
Question Questions...Jello, snacks

I did the Atkin's diet a few years ago (2000?). The book I bought at that time says that we can have a carb-free jello with whipped cream for dessert. I am now seeing on this board that we are not supposed to have Jello. Why is that? I lost a ton of weight 17 lb. during induction that time, so it seems to have been ok for me to have the Jello. And I know it is better that giving in to a sweets craving. What are the Pros and Cons of this?

Also, what are some snacks that we can have on Induction. I know that when I looked at some of the Carb Free stores that had "potato chips" made from cheese that had 0 or 1 carb per serving. Can I get those? I am really bad about wanting spicy/crunchy foods, particularly at 3 or 4 pm. Can I either order these or is there something else? I HATE plan pork rinds, though I am ok with the BBQ ones.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 384/376/285
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default I am not an expert, but here's a shot

It's the aspartame in sugar free jello that you are supposed to avoid. Also in my beloved Diet Coke. I miss it like an old friend.

I think that the main objection that Dr. Atkins has to aspartame is that it has not been tested enough for him to consider it totally safe. He recommends using Splenda.

Others on this board are of the opinion that the sweet taste of sugar free products can fool your body into releasing insulin, thereby halting ketosis.

Some also advise that relying on a sugar substitute only continues the addiction. I am like you and think that it is better to use sugar free Jello than a can of chocolate frosting to beat the cravings.

I don't know why the cheese chips wouldn't work. You might run them through the hidden carb inspector to make sure the label is on the up and up. Plan pork rinds are yuck. Although I can eat them with some cheese dip. - Gives them some flavor. Be careful of the BBQ ones. Sometimes they have sugar in them.

Good luck to you,
Emily
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 15:14

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Default SF JELLO

hello there is a sugar free jello made with splenda its made my jolly ranchers... its a sf jolly rancher jello cup you should be able to find it in the cold section of your grocerystore.... it is legal to have.... altho some people use the jello sf namebrand.. and have no problems with it.... i think dr atkins steers away from the jello name kind due to the aspirtame...

Tammy

ps get some sf jolly ranchers and make sure to eat it with heavy whipped cream
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: 20-30 grams daily
Stats: 262/192/140
BF:
Progress: 57%

the jolly ranchers jello is good i eat it sometimes but not to much of it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:08

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%
Question Stevia

Hi
What are the thoughts on stevia?
I use it a lot and haven't noticed any hunger or cravings
after. I admit it will be awhile before I can view everywhere
there is to go on this site so this might be a worn out subject
greentea
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/295/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Unhappy Jolly Rancher SF jello

I tried the strawberry and the green apple and I didn't really care for it. If you love Jolly Rancher candies you might like the jello, although I usually like the candies. The jello is really eye-poppingly tart--a real burst of flavor. I prefer the name-brand jello sweetened with aspartame (tsk, tsk). Maybe after I've been on the plan longer I will no longer need the aspartame "crutch" but for now I think my health is way better off in the long run if having the aspartame allows me to acheive sustained weight loss.

As I understand it, Dr. Atkins' objection to aspartame is not based on clinical trials or any evidence that it is unsage but rather his observation that weight loss slows for many of his clients while using aspartame. If you're on a plateau, aspartame should be one of the first things you take out.

However, there are many people who believe that aspartame is an evil on the order of...well, I can't think of anything evil enough to compare it to but there are many who believe it causes cancer and other diseases. You can find plenty of rants on the net detailing the evils of aspartame.

Just my 2 cents.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 06:04

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 193/174.5/148 Female 5'3"
BF:yikes
Progress: 41%
Default Jello

Hi there <p> I just thought I would add my 2 cents and let you know what I have found. <br> Hunt's also has a sugar free jello sweetened with Splenda called "Juicy Gels" It tastes just like regular jello. Carbs are listed as 1.2 g per cup because it has some real juice in it. If I can find it here (NB) at Super Value, and Sobeys, I'm sure it's available everywhere. I wouldn't eat it all the time but it hits the sweet spot <p>Have a great weekend<p>Eden