Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%
Cool 4 day cruise...HOW do I survive??

It's the 24-hour goodie feast I'm afraid of...I could really use some help and encouragement here, because I'm sure that once I see the sweet tables I'm going to go nuts. I know to make the better choices for meals, and I'm okay with that. I'm staying away from the out-and-out white carb yucky stuff...I don't drink, could care less about bread, rice, etc. But I'm very afraid of gaining on this cruise and am nervous already.

It's a long time dream of mine, a grad present from my mother, etc. and I know I'm going to live it up a little while, and that probably includes indulging some of my favorite stuff.

But I was out of control last week, ate cake two days in a row and still can't drop the 3 pounds I gained! Plus I got a headache out of the deal. (Jeez...how many lessons does it take??)

Please, someone who has survived such a week...let me know how you did it! And any other suggestions would be most helpful!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, sounds like fun. But it also sounds like you'll be distracted by the sweets table and really bummed if you gain weight.

I don't think I can suggest anything other than allowing yourself to really enjoy the stuff you can have - eggs, salad, steak, bacon, all that Atkins goody stuff. Then leave the food area completely. Try to physically avoid the foody places. Go for a swim, go for a walk; whatever you can do to keep yourself away from the stuff you know you want to avoid. Even when you're at the dining area, stay away from the sweets. Don't tell youself that you can "have just one" if you know you can't. You're the only person who can be firm with youself. Try to ask yourself how you're going to feel the next day if you overindulge on sweets - is the sugar worth the sugar hangover? That's no way to spend a cruise. Then ask yourself how good you're going to feel in the morning when you wake up feeling good and you made the right choice.

It's a tough one. Razzle made a really nice post <a href="http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45378">here - "Before You Cheat."</a>

Have an awesome trip!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:35

Stats: 246/221/200 Male 6'0"
BF:27%/25%/12%
Progress: 54%

What a delima! I know from past cruises that when they put all of that food out there, you REALLY have a hard time saying no. So let me offer two things:

1. "Fill Up" on all of the steaks, chicken, beef franks, and whatever else you find BEFORE you go for the sweets. That way you are still low carbed and you will have a lesser desire to eat.

2. Go look at all the hard bodies by the pool. That usually does it for me. That really reinforces my willpower to get ripped.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. (Sorry - had to say it!) haha

But if you do end up going off the WOE, just jump back on as quickly as you can and don't beat yourself up too bad. Food (sugar) is an addiction. No different than alcohol or cigarettes.

-Rick
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:55

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

You HAVE to read this: http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/31-184398.html

This is my favorite success story, I guess because I love cruises and I figure, if she can do all that during a cruise, anything is possible! You've basically already answered your own question...you know that it will be hard to resist the late night buffets, but it's something you HAVE to do if you want to come off the cruise feeling good about yourself. I agree that you should get full on legal low carb foods like steak and vegetables...that will take the sweets-craving away. If you do cheat once, don't let that be a reason to continue screwing up the whole vacation...I do that and it's really ridiculous when you think about it. Cheating makes me bloat up like a balloon overnight...not the type of feeling you want on vacation. Just think how great you'll feel if you actually LOSE weight on the cruise? At least you don't drink alcohol...that's MY biggest issue on a cruise...I wanna party!

If it helps, I am going on a cruise Aug. 8-11 and I plan to stay low carb on it...we could compare notes afterward if that will help you not cheat. Remember, there is PLENTY of low carb food on cruises and the best part is it's inclusive and all-you-can-eat ! Did you know that you can order as many entrees as you want at the formal dinner table and they'll bring them all out...so get two salads and two steaks! Where else can you get two steaks for "free." I always try several entrees, even when I wasn't low carbing--trust me, everyone else at the table will be like "oh, I didn't know you could do that...I'll have two as well"
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 18:30
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

You guys are great...I'm still grinning ear to ear! I actually think I can do this pretty well! I plan on a hearty (legal) breakfast, an hour with my friend in the gym just doing something good for myself, then on with the day, lots of walking, entertainment, good heavens, I can't wait to do this! I bought a few pairs of shorts that look okay on me, and some sports bra type tops, which I plan to practically live in. Bathing suit is out of the question this year, so won't be doing too much at the pool! Next year, definitely -- no doubt about it, my thighs will be in some kind of swim-suit shape.

Thanks for the encouragement, and yes, I WILL look at all those sun worshippers at the pool...that will keep me focused on my plan! Will come back with the report so maybe I will even surprise myself.

#6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 16:55
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default My Cruise Plan

I'm going on a Disney Cruise in July and I'm just going to use my "buffet" mentality when I go.

When I eat at a buffet, I always "plan" my trips and how many I make. I also plan to ENJOY my food and not see how many trips I can make.

I will let you know how it goes!

Also, I was on an all inclusive 20 years ago and got sick because I was eating 5 huge meals a day. Stick to your normal eating pattern/spacing when you can.

The big thing for me is the vizualization and planning. I always ask the Atkins question - is is REALLY going to taste as good as I think it is? And also Is if worth it?

Take care and let us know how you do.

Tom.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 18:18
Registered Member

Stats: 185/143/145 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think you should eat whatever you please on this cruise and just behave yourself when you get back. Food is the main attraction of a cruise, you should enjoy yourself!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 20:03

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Think of all legal goodies you can have. I'd enjoy the salmon, the fancy salads, the asparagus!
Whatever your favorites are, they will be made up like a prom queen.
And it wouldn't hurt to ask if they have any low carb menu items...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 08:00

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

It all comes down to you. Nobody can make the decision for you, nobody can lose your weight for you. If the sweets table is worth more than your weight loss, that's your choice to make.

Me, I'm with ADKPam and the others who said to go nuts on the legal stuff. There's so much other delicious food you can enjoy, who needs the sugar?