Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 04:01

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 227/215/170
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question Black List

Hi all..

here is what's happening. i just started 2 weeks ago eating no carbs as mush as know ( i haven't read the Atkin's book completely.. and i don't think i'll ever finish the remaining 300 pages).

the problems is that i don't know what the things that i shouldn't eat.. for example today i had peas for lunch .. and while i was browsing this forum i knew that i shouldn't

can you guys help me to build a list with all the things i shouldn't eat.. i.e. build a food black list, cause i really don't know.

are bananas ok?
how about a cup or two of milk?
is adding mustard to steak ok?
what are the vegetables and the fruits that are high in carbs?

thanX

p.s. where can i get the strips to measure my ketosis level.. i live in Toronto/Canada.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 05:17

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi there
I think the easiest way to get the idea of the Atkins book is to read the "Quick Start" chapter.
You also can find most of the book online at www.atkinscenter.com.

There is no fruit allowed during the induction period, so I would suggest reading more of the book.

I found the Ketostix at a large chain pharmacy in the states; I asked the druggist.

Good luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 14:59

BF:
Smile Thank you

WoW.. no fruit at all !! i didn't know that.

I've got the Atkins' book infront of me and i don't see a Quick start section in it.

i think somebody should tell Dr. Atkins that his book is unnecessarily tooooooooooooooooooooo long
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 15:19

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Why did you bother buying the book? Really. Ask youself that question and give yourself an honest answer.

What is your goal? What is it you want to accomplish? Do you merely want someone to make all of your decisions for you for each and every meal for the rest of your life because you aren't interested in learning enough about your own body and its metabolism to enable to you make decisions on your own?

How important is it to you to make yourself slimmer and healthier for the rest of your life? How much effort are you willing to invest to make this happen? The answer to the second question, whether you like it or not, IS the answer to the first question. If the answer to the second question is, "Not enough effort to read a paperback book that is significantly shorter than many fiction novels," then what does that say about how important losing weight and feeling great are to you?

As for it being too long - let's see. Chapter 11 (the first sentence of which is, "First of all, let me welcome those of you who are starting the book at this point.") starts on page 121 (of the paperback edition) and the Twelve Rules of Induction starts on the very next page, the list of allowed foods is presented two pages later and in less than ten pages total you have the bare bones guide to Atkins - at least the Induction Phase.

Last edited by wbahn : Sat, Jul-06-02 at 15:24.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 17:16

BF:
Wink I don't read fiction novels

i'll start reading chapter 11.

thanx for the advice
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 17:29

BF:

FYI: I'm referring to the most recent edition of the book - Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR). If that's not the version you have, I recommend that you get it since it reflects new knowledge gained since the previous editions.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 18:57

BF:

i think that's what i have.. ISBN: 0-380-72729-3.. right?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 20:47

BF:

The ISBN on mine is 0-06-001203-X, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't the same book.