Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:07

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Too much water?

Hello out there . I was wondering if you can actually overdue on water? Is there such thing as too much water? I am trying to give up my diet cokes and I am drinking some crazy amount of water. Opinions please
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, it is possible to 'drink too much water' - but it would be more accurate to state that it's not the water that is a problem, but rather the electrolytes. This is a condition called "Water Intoxication" and is something that happens to athletes - in particular long distance runners. Imbalances in electrolytes result when water is consumed to replace what is lost but lost salts (like sodium/potassium) are not also replaced.

You can read more about water intoxication on this site by clicking the link provided, you can also try a search on this site using the icon located to the right of every page.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:19

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Sorry in advance that's it's so long, but I didn't think I should leave any of it out. It was an interesting read, something I didn't know about. Source: Boston Globe

WHEN DRINKING TOO MUCH WATER MEANS DISASTER
Author(s): JUDY FOREMAN Date: June 18, 2002 Page: C3 Section: Health Science
Kelly Hall, 34, was in fantastic shape, routinely biking 100 to 200 miles a week in preparation for last year's AIDS Ride from Boston to New York. Usually she trained with other riders, who made it a point to take food and hydration breaks. But one day last June, Hall, a strategic planner at Partners Community Health Care in Needham, decided to ride alone, despite the 95-degree heat.

The first 50 miles, around Concord, were a breeze. "I thought I'd do another 25," she recalled. She drank a little Gatorade, the sports drink designed to restore normal blood levels of electrolytes, but relied mostly on water, constantly sipping from the 70-ounce Camelbak water supply on her back. Halfway through the last loop, hyponatremia, a relatively rare but potentially fatal condition in which blood levels of sodium sink dangerously low, "hit like a ton of bricks," Hall said.

She finished her ride "really, really slowly," got back to her car, threw up, drove home and threw up again. She made it to Brigham and Women's Hospital, where she had a grand mal seizure.

Nearly the same thing happened to Sarah Snyder, 45, a Globe editor, who was training with friends for another long benefit ride. She, too, was in good condition, and she, too, dutifully sipped water for 56 miles. "What a good do-bee I'm being," she remembered thinking.

But after her ride, she threw up violently and was rushed to the hospital, where she drifted in and out of consciousness for 18 hours. "You drank too much water. You screwed up your sodium," the doctors told her. When asked to say her name, "It came out like Swahili."

Full-blown cases of hyponatremia (sometimes called water intoxication) are relatively rare, roughly .1 to 4 percent of people who sweat steadily for hours in grueling, long-distance events, said Scott Montain, a research physiologist at the US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine in Natick. The incidence of hyponatremia appears to be highest in events lasting more than four hours, especially at high temperatures.

But the prevalence of warning symptoms is much higher - up to 27 percent of athletes who seek attention in a medical tent during a long race - and appears to be rising.

Typically, conscientious athletes get in trouble because they adhere too diligently to one recommendation - drink lots of fluids - but ignore another - keep electrolytes up. (Electrolytes are charged particles such as sodium, potassium, calcium and bicarbonate that must be kept in near-perfect balance.) Indeed, for most marathoners, Montain noted, the real problem is drinking too much water, not failing to take in enough sodium.

Women in particular may be at risk, some researchers say, in part because they may be too dutiful about drinking water.

Some studies suggest that certain drugs also may increase risk, among them ibuprofen and other NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, acetaminophen, some cancer drugs, nicotine, diuretics, narcotics and some antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs. On the other hand, data presented recently at the American College of Sports Medicine meeting suggest that ibuprofen and other NSAIDS may not increase risk after all.

"When you sweat, you lose both water and salt," said Dr. Soheyla Gharib, medical director of the women's health center at Brigham and Women's Hospital. "If you replace only water, the salt level in the blood gets diluted."

And that can be disastrous. Normally, the body tries to keep positively and negatively charged electrolytes in balance to keep cells electrically neutral, said Dr. Ronenn Roubenoff, associate professor of medicine and nutrition and director of human studies at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center at Tufts University. Though sodium is probably the most important electrolyte for endurance athletes to worry about, he said, "an imbalance of any one of the electrolytes can be harmful."

Normally, sodium is plentiful in the blood and relatively low inside cells. But when the concentration in the blood gets too low compared to the amount inside cells - either because a person drank too much water, took in too little sodium, or both - water rushes into cells. "Water follows sodium as day follows night," Roubenoff said.

The result is dangerous swelling, particularly in the brain, that can lead to brain damage, coma and death.

Curiously, hyponatremia can occur whether a person is dehydrated, normally hydrated or overhydrated because any of those conditions can happen while blood levels of sodium are too low, Roubenoff said.

Further complicating things is that the symptoms of hyponatremia can be easily confused with those of heat stroke and heat exhaustion. With heat exhaustion (also called exertional heat injury), people feel ill, get nauseous, have muscle cramps and may feel dizzy standing up quickly.

With heat stroke, people have all those symptoms plus another one - mental-status changes; that is, confusion about who and where they are and what day it is. People with genuine heat stroke also typically have extremely high body temperatures. With hyponatremia, people also feel very ill and may have mental-status changes, but don't have the high temperatures of heat stroke. They also vomit forcefully and repeatedly and, unlike those with heat exhaustion, do not feel better by resting and cooling off.

Treatment of hyponatremia may involve restricting fluid intake and promoting urine production, but some people also need intravenous salt water with a high concentration of salt, until blood electrolytes return to normal. Resetting the water-salt balance "must be done carefully and slowly," said Dr. Gabriel Danovitch, professor of medicine at the School of Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles, because overly-rapid correction of electrolyte imbalance can cause further problems.

To protect yourself against hyponatremia, start by paying attention to how much you sweat. In general, women sweat less than men and their ability to regulate core body temperature (and sweating) also may vary with different phases of the menstrual cycle.

Individuals also vary considerably in how much sodium they lose in sweat. You may be a heavy sodium loser if your sweat burns your eyes, tastes salty or leaves a cakey-white residue on your skin.

You can also make sure you're getting enough sodium by drinking sports drinks such as Accelerade, Cytomax, Gpush and Gatorade instead of plain water during long events. (Check the labels for sodium content; some brands have twice the sodium of others.) Sports drinks also typically contain carbohydrates as well, which provides energy and helps with water and sodium absorption.

If you don't like sports drinks, you could take salt tablets, but they may make you nauseous. At the very least, you can eat salty foods prior to and during a big event.

For ordinary mortals who work out for less than an hour, sports drinks are unnecessary and plain old water (along with the salt you normally get in food) will do just fine, said Roger Fielding, an exercise physiologist and associate professor of health sciences at Boston University.

For endurance athletes doing events longer than an hour and sweating profusely, it's probably wise to drink 6 to 8 ounces of fluid every 20 minutes to prevent both excessive dehydration and hyponatremia, said Montain of the US Army lab. But don't drink more than 40 ounces per hour:That's erring toward excess fluid intake
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:32

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Great article DarkLotus!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:44

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

thanks guys, I don't think I have anythign to worry about......LOL. Working out for more then an hour....sure
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 23:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Hi, I read all of the replies & went to the Post Water intoxification. But I have a question, in all of these you all talked about the possibly of athletics overdrinking water but what if you are not drinking it right after working out..not after hiking..or running a marathon? Sometimes I am just sitting here and drink 3 liters of water With my lunch or Breakfast. Sometime just inbetween meals. Most the time not that much water at once, usually I will drink 1.5-2 liters in one sitting. Is this a problem?

Candice
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 05:06

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I drink a gallon a day of water, sometimes more if it's hot. Haven't had problems other that frequent bathroom runs.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 19:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%
Hi all,
Found this site through my Mayo Clinic news letter, it tells you how much water you should be drinking. It was to long to post here so am sending the site. Its very informative.
Bev

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=NU00248&si=1381