Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:46

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Question gaining lean body mass- answer anyone?

I use the Protein Power eating plan and as such have calculated my lean body mass as well as % body fat .

I have lost 5% body fat so far and my calculations show that I have gained 7 lbs in lean body mass !!

I have not been obsessive about exercise but I try to get in 2 to 3 sessions in the gym per week. Not over exerting myself

Is it possible to gain so much lean body mass just by eating 60g protein per day and the odd bit of exercise ??

Rob

Last edited by Rob : Mon, Jun-17-02 at 07:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 16:03

Question Lean Body Mass

I would appreciate it if someone in the know could answer my previous question on LBM

Thanks

Rob
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 17:58

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I don't exactly know how to answer this and I am unsure anyone else does either.

However from my knowledge there are only two acurate means to measure Lean Body Mass. One is by calipers, and the other is by water submersion the later being number one on the list of accuracy.

So could it be that the calculations you have be somehow misinterrepted? You don't mention what type of calculations you are using, so if you are using measurements to calculate could it be you didn't get the exact same spot as the first time?

*shrugs*
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 20:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Rob,

I merged your two posts together, so they wouldn't get separated down the list of threads

I'm not sure how much muscle gain could be credited to increased protein intake, but it is definitely possible that there will be some gain. In Protein Power, the Drs. Eades explain that some people, especially those whose previous diet was lowfat and deficient in protein WILL gain some muscle tissue when they finally start to eat a decent amount of protein. Plus, the exercise will help too.

Have you lost inches as well as lbs?? That will be a sure clue .. muscle takes up less space than the same weight of fat .. so you'll be smaller. Here's a picture Nat posted which demonstrates this very clearly ...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/attachme...=&postid=308537

If you're using the calculations in the Protein Power book, they're not precise, but are a useful guide. As agonycat stated, having a professional bodyfat assessment is your best bet for accuracy.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 23:30

Lightbulb Lean Body Mass

Hi all,

I based my calculations on the figures obtained from the Protein Power book ie:

waist - wrist measurement = "X" in inches
using their tables , weight and " X "intersect at your BF%
From here you can calculate your LBM knowing your weight .

Thats how I did it

Rob

BTW I am delighted at my progress so far