Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/135
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Lemon Cheesecake AdvantEdge Bars

Those things are "da bomb"! Have you ever tried them? If not - YOU MUST!!!

I am not a big chocolate eater so I haven't been able to find many bars I like that don't taste chocolate but these are SOOOOOOO good!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

And they SOOOOOO stall me, and thousands of others.
Doods.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:53

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Just be careful...

So many folks get upset when they stall or lose the momentum of weight loss...

...only to find out it's the "harmless" bars they've been eating that really have, like, 15+ carbs per that have caused the problem.

Enjoy with caution!

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:55
Registered Member

Plan: Returned to CALP 4/8/2
Stats: 147/143/115
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Hi Sparkle!

I've never seen them around here but I'll have to look - I'm too lazy to make a legal cheesecake, lol. I do some legal baking when I'm jonesin' but that's not very often any more.

Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:23
Registered Member

BF:

WHAT? Stall? Really?

*looks at bar & throws it in the trash*

What's in it that stalls you?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:37

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

Those bars confuse me, too. Depending on brand, carbs vary between 14 and 25 (roughly) they have 2 or 3 grams of fiber, but all have that little box at the bottom that claims that only 2 (or 2.5) of those carbs need to be counted.

What's the rest then?

And what else has those carbs that "don't count"???

I vote for Ice cream, cookies, and of course chocolate.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:46
Registered Member

BF:

They REALLY have 25 carbs? How do they get away with putting 2 on the label????
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:08

The exact grams depend on brand and flavor, but it's an approx. number from what I remember.

Here's a copy of one of Atkins' bars:

AtkinsTM Advantage Bar Box - Almond Brownie
Serving Size: 1 60 gram bar
Total Servings: 15
Net Carbs: 2 grams
Qty. Per Product: 15 bars Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 220
Calories from fat: 70

%DV

Total Fat 8.00 g 12%
Saturated Fat 4.00 g 20%
Cholesterol 5.00 mg 1%
Sodium 105.00 mg 4%
Potassium 330.00 mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 21 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 7.00 g 28%
Sugars 0.00 g %
Protein 21.00 g 42%
Biotin 25%
Calcium 30%
Chromium 15%
Folic Acid 25%
Iron 15%
Magnesium 20%
Niacin 25%
Pantothenic Acid 25%
Phosphorus 25%
Selenium 25%
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin B-1 25%
Vitamin B2 25%
Vitamin B12 25%
Vitamin B6 25%
Vitamin C 25%
Vitamin D-3 25%
Vitamin E 25%
Vitamin K 25%
Zinc 25%

Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Allergy Information: This product is manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts and other nuts and seeds.

Other Ingredients:
Ingredients: Protein blend (Soy protein isolate, hydrolyzed collagen, whey protein isolate, sodium caseinate), glycerine, water, polydextrose (fiber), cocoa powder, almond pieces, natural coconut oil (non-hydrogenated), cellulose, cocoa butter, butter oil, olive oil, natural and artificial flavor, lecithin, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid (flavor enhancer), sucralose (SplendaŽ brand non-nutritive sweetener).

Nutrition Blend: Calcium (tricalcium phosphate and calcium carbonate), magnesium (magnesium oxide), vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D-3, vitamin B-1 (thiamin), vitamin B-2 (riboflavin), vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), vitamin B-12 (cyanocobalamin), natural vitamin E (acetate), niacin, biotin, pantothenic acid, zinc, folic acid, chromium (chromium chelate), vitamin K, selenium.

--------

I don't know how they can discount these carbs. I understand that fiber carbs don't count - but have no idea how the others are explained - cannot remember exactly what those little boxes say - it lists different oses and claims they don't effect insulin levels - and all along I thought it was those sugars that did all the damage. (If my thinking is wrong, please correct me - still learning here).

And then, if all those carbs don't count - why are so many people effected by them - and what I really wonder - why is Atkins selling them withouth a huge disclaimer or warning - not only that, according to his color code - they are supposedly even suitable for all 4 phases - including induction.

Field research (us) however seems to show that these claims are widely incorrect.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 19:02

I justed wanted to bring this thread back to the top - am hoping somebody has an explanation or even a theory for these "don't count" carbs??
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 06:22

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Thelma, go to the link below and check out Sugar Alcohols and Hidden carbs articles for more information.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips.html

There is a lot of different information listed on that little orange bar above the forums
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Greetings, LowCarb Products moderator here.

There are several 'conversational threads' right here in this Products forum discussing these bars, the changes in the labels (rules from the FDA) and whether or not folks are stalled by glycerine and/or sugar alcohols such as maltitol and lactitol, etc.

Do have a look for subject lines such as glycerol, hidden carbs, bars, Atkins, etc. Some of them are 'sticky' so they stay at the top of this discussion forum.

This whole subject is already discussed so widely so I won't repeat it here or even try to summarize, but rest assured you aren't the first folks to question this effective carb counting method.

Of course there are the articles right here on this website as referenced by agonycat, too. Spend a little time looking around and reading, it's good for ya.

And remember, if in doubt on ANY product, use the Hidden Carb calculator (see the Tools item on the menu above) and work out the TRUE hidden carb count based on energy calories and NOT on the legal definition of a carb.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 14:09
Registered Member

Stats: 275/237/210
BF:
Progress: 58%

I am kinda lucky in the aspect that the bars do not stall me.. (they are part of my lunch when I just cant cook anymore..)..

Some thing i do notice on these boards that people should be aware of... sometimes... hearing about all the things that can make you stall... will make you stall due to will.. Read your body and what it feels like... I do not stall on sugar alchols... but I do get sick with too many in a day.... that is just me.. others have no problems with them.. some people have more than 2g of SA, and they will stall...

We are all here for support and advice, just don't read to much as the word of law.. if you do, you will be bald and the only thing that wont stall you is olive oil and water..

<notice.. this is not to be a negitive post.. nor is is directed to anyone at all... >
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 07:27

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

I think you can now get EAS Myoplex Lemon Cheesecake Bars which state they are low-carb and have 3g carbs in them. This is the only flavour they do in low-carb.

They must have had a change of mind on their carb thinking, because they are gradually introducing low-carb and putting the other high-carb items on offer.

Judy
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

No matter who makes the LC product, especially if it's a bar (and very probably contains glycerol and/or sugar alcohols), use the Hidden Carb calculator readily available at this site... know your carbs.