Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 20:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 144/143/125
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Cheese and Metabolift Bars

I just started my Induction period five days ago and have not stepped on the scale so I don't get discouraged. I am wondering if I can eat as much cheese as I want as long as I stay under the 20 carbohydrates a day. Also, I found these Metabolift bars that only have 2 grams of carbs in them. Is this ok for the induction phase??
Please help! I don't want to inhibit my weight loss!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 21:33

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

Hey there finfrock and welcome!

Induction is tough at best, but you will get through it. I'm under the impression that if you are going to do induction by the book, then you need to limit your cheese to no more than 4 oz. a day, and the bars are out. I know which one's you are talking about and they actually are a thermogenic high protein bar. If you really want to do induction, keep it simple and add things later when you are more familar with this way of eating (WOE).
Good luck to you and great job on getting the questions out there. The more you know, the better you can do.
Regards,
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 22:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 144/143/125
BF:
Progress: 5%

Do the Metabolift bars inhibit weight loss? Should I keep the ones I have for later in my diet?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 06:22

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

If you did a search on "low carb bars" on this forum you would get hundreds of threads discussing the good and bad.

What it boils down to is this: Some people are affected by the sugar alcohols and others aren't. The "sweetness" of the bars tend to trigger an insulin release in some which causes the weight loss stalls. Others it doesn't seem to matter.

So you are the only one that can tell if those bars will mess up your diet or not. Me personally there are enough chemicals in those things to preserve a horse, something I can do without.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/166/150
BF:
Progress: 36%

Uh oh!! Is this 4oz limit on cheese a new thing??? I am still going off of my 1999 version. I had asked a while back if someoen could fill me in on the major differences but I never heard back.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 08:26

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Allyoop, yes it is new in his 2001 book. Also he now says no (zero) aspartame products and limit artifical sweeteners to 3 per day period.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:27

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Finfrock,
I am just finishing up the 2 week induction this isn't my first time but it is the first time I feel I have succeeded. Before I tried to tweek the diet and thought about what I couldn't have more than what I could have. My advice is keep it simple when the increased energy kicks in and the deminished appetite you will be gratefull. I have lost 6 pounds and 2.5 inches and if I can get all the water down I need to I exspect more weight loss. Hang in there I know how hard it is but it's suprising how good you will feel after it's over.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/166/150
BF:
Progress: 36%

Well, I guess I've blown it then! I don't understand why you would have to limit your cheese so much. Thats the only thing that is making this bearable for me. I lost weight doing it the "old" way before so I guess I'll be okay. As far as sweetener I only had a half or third of a packet of Equal yesterday and today. I will cut that. As for the cheese, is that just for induction or for good?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 12:17

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

If you don't stall I imagine is up to the person I can't eat to much cheese or I freeze ketosis and weight loss.