Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 183/176/135 Female 5 FT, 4 IN.
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question Question: Pumpkin seeds

Okay, here's a question that I haven't seen before (although I haven't been around this site for very long)...I recently bought a bag of David roasted and salted pumpkin seeds - 1 bag is 1 serving, showing total carbs 6g. I was munching away (nice salty non-chip treat) and then I realized that I was eating the shell on the seeds as well as the kernal inside - ya know, like with a sunflower seed some people eat the whole thing and some meticulously remove kernals from shell.....? I actually prefer eating the whole thing as it's just too much work to remove each kernal - do you think there are carbs in the shells too? If so, any idea how many? The carb counter on this site lists a similar number of carbs as the package but I'm pretty sure that is also referring to the kernals only...hmmmm.....thanks for any input y'all might have.
karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Protein Power
Stats: 252/245/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I tried looking on fitday, but the information they have must be wrong. They list fiber for the hulled seeds but not for the whole seeds. I'm sure the hulls have lots of fiber.

Anyway, you'll eat less of them if you eat them with the hulls. And you won't need any Metamucil!

~Mel

Last edited by Melinda : Thu, Jun-06-02 at 17:53.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

The hulls are fiber.

Fiber is a non-effective carbohydrate and isn't counted (and hasn't got calories either).

It's good for you, too.