Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 17:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/122/115
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Afraid to "up" carbs from Induction level

Does anyone have any tips on how you've transitioned from Induction to the next stage? I'm finding that I'm on perpetual Induction because I'm afraid to add too many carbs and knock myself out of ketosis and stop losing or even worse, start gaining.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 19:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Karleon and welcome!

Congrats on your weight loss so far. You're getting close to goal and you're right in thinking that it's time for you to start increasing your daily carb intake. Dr. Atkins book gives pretty good instructions on how to go about this (you do have the book, right?), but some people decide to do it a bit more slowly, like increasing their daily carb intake once every 2 or 3 weeks. Doing this slowly will allow you to remain in ketosis by not giving your body a high carb jolt. Don't panic if the scale goes up a pound or two. This is likely only temporary and completely normal and will come back off again as your body adjusts to the new carb level. As you increase your carbs, they should be coming in the form of more veggies (not high carb foods!), possibly some low carb fruits or nuts. If you go through all 4 phases correctly, you should be at maintainance level by the time you get to your goal and have a pretty good idea of what your body can and can't handle, carbs-wise. Give it a try and let us know how you're doing!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/122/115
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much Lisa for your reply. Yes, I do have the newest book and even a pretty good cook book from Atkins. I know he tells us how but I'm still hesitant. As of tomorrow, I'll start creeping up the carbs slowly and see how I do. Thanks again and good luck to you as well!