Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 20:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Question Best muscle recovery method

What supplements or techniques do you use to speed up your recovery from intense workouts?

I currently take 5 grams of L-Glutamine after workouts, but that's it. Any other good idea?

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 11:28

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Besides l-glut, antioxidants also help with muscle recovery. I take a Cell Protector formula from GNC three times a day. I found this in Muscular Development's April 2002 issue:

Vitamin C Speeds Recovery
Intense bodybuilding often leaves you sore and tired. If you push yourself hard enough, you will get inflamed joints and muscles. Scientists think chemicals called free radicals are responsible for some of your pain and suffering. Your body produces free radicals naturally during rest metabolism and even faster during exercise. Free radicals can be thought of as biological rust that attacks vital cell membranes and genes. Substances called antioxidants fight free radicals and help prevent cell damage and aging. Vitamin C is the world's most popular antioxidant and has been used to promote health and healing for more than 50 years. British scientists showed that Vitamin C might help bodybuilders recover from exercise faster. Men given 200 milligrams of the vitamin were less sore and showed less tissue inflammation after intense exercise than subjects taking a placebo. Vitamin C is not the key to instant recovery, but it helps. (Int. J. Sports Nut. Metab.,11:466-481, 2001)

Hope this helps!
Linda
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 12:57
Forum Founder

Thanks Fern, I had no idea about this benefit from C.

Is that the name of the other supplement, "Cell Protector"?

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 13:34

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yep, it is GNC brand and it says: "Cell Protector Formula Dietary Supplement."
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 13:43
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

And I take 10-15g of glutamine a day.... that dosage has been recommended to me by several people if you're working out intensely.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 15:15
Forum Founder

#7   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:00

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I find if I warm up first and do a good, long stretch after weightlifting (like 60 seconds or more for each muscle group worked), I don't get much soreness (unless i work that muscle again 'accidentally' the next day, like doing leg work on Thursday and Friday climbing hills)

Otherwise, only a radical shift in my routine gets me sore, and then only for 4-5 days.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 09:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default anti oxidants

Wa'il, along with Vit C it's good to take your Vit E right after working out. Glutamine along the lines of 5-7g two to three times a day is also recommended (with that first dose coming right after your workout).

I've recently started drinking some gree tea and taking green tea extract along with my vits after working out - the EGEC found in the tea has antioxidant properties that are estimated to be 50x greater than Vit E & C.

HTH
Nat