Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 03:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up CNN documentary on weight loss

CNN had a very good weight loss documentary on Sunday night. It focussed on a study of several thousand people who had lost more than 30 pounds and kept it off for more than a year. Interesting points from the show:

- 95% of people who lose weight will put it back on, because they don't permanently change their way of eating

- the study allowed long term weight losers to register and be monitored. Then the study looked into 7 factors that makes weight loss successful and long term

1. Expect disappointments, but keep on trying. It doesn't happen magically. You need to work at it to have success.

2. Don't deny yourself. The people in the study had learned to limit their danger foods...2 cookies instead of a bag full, a couple of tablespoons of icecream instead of enought to make you full. While these people were still eating things that we consider bad on LC, the point is they had learned to change the way they eat these things.

3. Weigh yourself often. (We could substitute measure yourself often). The point being you need to know where you started , where you are at and what direction you are going in.

4. Get one hour of vigourous exercise daily.

5. Get additional other physical activity into your life.

6. Eat a low cal/low fat diet. I watched this with particular interest, not to pooh-pooh the theory, but to find out why. The study came to that conclusion because the overwhelming majority of people in the study had followed a low fat/low cal diet. This point I'm taking with a grain of salt. It's kind of like thinking if the overall majority of people who achieved a sustained long term weight loss had red hair, then the conclusion would be red-heads are more successful. If the overall majority in the study had been LCers or vegetarians, then the study's conclusion would have said be a vegetarian or be an LCer

7. Darned if I can remember the last one, but it wasn't earth shattering.

The 2 people profiled in the show had life changes similar to what we strive to achieve (only diff being they were low fat/low cal)
For example...
- they ate 5 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones
- they chose foods better, and for the most part ate less processed food and more fresh fruits and veggies
- exercise has become a normal and satisfying part of their daily lives
- they had both reached a weight breaking point...something about their heavy weight that triggered enough is enough
-they are commited and work at it every day
- IT WAS A CHANGE IN THEIR WAY OF EATING, AND THEIR WAY OF LIFE - A LIFELONG COMMITMENT TO CHANGING BAD HABITS. THEY DID NOT VIEW IT AS "GOING ON A DIET"

What I really liked about the show was that it focused on motivation, state of mind, and making significant changes to your lifestyle. It didn't heavily push any one diet plan, or criticise one plan over another.

There is a National Weight Control Registry (probably also available on the internet, but I haven't looked for it yet). People who have lost a minimum of 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year may apply to register and become part of the study.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 07:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Thanks Angela

This was interesting. I went to CNN.com to see if they had a more complete story, but actually your post had more info than they did on their site.

I copied your post (without the lc comments) to use at my TOPS meeting tonight. Most of the people there are on low cal/low fat diets and I can't be too pushy about my way of eating. But mush of the info can be applied to either type of diet.

Carol
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 09:22

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

The interesting thing they don't say is that the combination of low-cal eating and the admonition to never go off the diet means eating low cal forever.... and your BMR is likely to keep dropping as you do so, and eventually you'll have to drop the calories further (or exercise more) to maintain your loss. There may be no end to this cycle for at least some (most?) dieters, and either you'd have to eat 500 calories a day eventually or accept a re-gain. This adaptive process is why by year seven, almost no one keeps the weight off. (The stats are something like 99.75% regain by then)

According to Forsburg in Adiposity 101, the National Weight Control Registry shows that those who are still keeping it off eat very little:

Quote:
. She reported the results in October 1996 at a meeting of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity. Among this small group of long term dieters, weight loss was maintained only by continued semistarvation. Average daily calories were 1,297 for women and 1,725 for men. This is hardly a normal life; many weight loss diets allow more food.

Thanks for the post, Angela!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 10:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
and your BMR is likely to keep dropping as you do so, and eventually you'll have to drop the calories further (or exercise more) to maintain your loss.

The two people they showd on the CNN program, had to execise a minimum of 1 hour a day......

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Wink I saw it too

#7 on their list was to eat 5 smaller meals daily rather than eat 3 larger meals

Does that ring a bell?

I thought it was interesting - I especially liked that they mentioned that all good dieters do "fall off the wagon", but they realize they're going to do it and get right back into the swing of things.

I hate that term by the way it makes it sound like you're at square one eating high carbs in every meal when in reality a slip and a fall are two different things. I think I slip probably once a week or so , but FALLING that's a whole other story.

Maybe my foot slipped off the wagon!

Sorry - speaking in metaphors!!!!!

cc