Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 10:02

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default To weigh or not to weigh

I've seen a lot of posts about when and how often we weigh. I've been wondering when and why people weigh.

I said in my introduction when I started on this forum that I was going to throw my scales away when I got to 200, but I have begun to rethink that. I also weigh every day. I tried to weigh once a week, but that didn't work for me. Now I find the scales kind of comforting, even when they don't move or they move up instead of down.

I have found that weighing daily works for me because my weight doesn't fluctuate regularly (i.e. one week my weight would be at its lowest on weigh-day, the next week it would be lower the day before or the day after and actually up on weigh-day). When I weighed once a week, my progress was actually very scewed. So I weigh every day now and "record" the days my scale drops.

What I have noticed is that, usually the day after my scale drops, it goes back up to where it was or even a little higher, then a couple or three days later it goes back to the low or sometimes lower. I have begun to kind of depend on this type of progress.

Before I started LCing, I maintained my weight for about 15 years. I weighed every day then and got used to my "normal" fluctuations. I always weighed within about a 5 pound range. Maybe this is why I don't get freaked when the scale goes up a little bit.

So what works for you?

;-Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 10:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Re: To weigh or not to weigh

Quote:
Originally posted by DebPenny
What I have noticed is that, usually the day after my scale drops, it goes back up to where it was or even a little higher, then a couple or three days later it goes back to the low or sometimes lower. I have begun to kind of depend on this type of progress.

That pattern is exactly what happens to me too. You and I have similar philosophies about weighing. I weigh every day, get excited when there is a new low, and have no reaction to a gain BECAUSE IT WILL HAPPEN.

I weigh because I have a choice, and I can deal with it emotionally.

What we see quite often here is the folks that are into quick fixes, or view this as a short term "diet" are the ones that get pretty upset over fluctuations.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 12:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

...a "me, too." I weigh first thing in the AM every day, but it's as much to keep track of my water intake and/or TOM as to see whether or not I've lost fat. Just a habit, I guess.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 317/240/190
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default same here

I weigh myself everyday.. if it goes down it brings some joy into the day. If not, it keeps me going because i know sooner or later it's gonna go down.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default This week I have decided not to weigh every day.

I belong to a weight loss club and must weigh in every Tues. night. I find it depressing if I am down on Monday and then up on Tuesday night.

I used to weigh every morning, but I have decided to stop obsessing over every little detail of this diet and not weighing is a start for me. I don't know how it will work--those scales are so tempting that I had to cover them with a washcloth so I would be reminded not to step on them.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 14:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I weigh every day, although I've been reconsidering that lately. I've been thinking of going to weighing once a week or even once a month because it's too easy for me to obsess about the numbers. I know that I am not going to gain weight with this WOE so what the scale says from day to day is unimportant. What it says from month to month is more important to me. I'll have to see if my have enough willpower to stay away from the scale for that long. Otherwise, no biggie....the weight will come off eventually.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 14:21

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Weiging once a month

That I think I could go for. As I said at the top, once a week didn't work, because it is too innaccurate for me, but once a month would work because there is enough time for changes to accumulate and show.

I think for now I will stick with daily. But when I get closer to my "goal," I think I will consider once a month.

Good idea! Thanks!

;-Deb