Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 182/163/140
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default ketone strips

Got a question. I have been on Atkins for about 3 weeks and lost about 7lbs or so...the problem is that I bought the ketone strips and I test using them just about every night around the same time. The only thing is that they don't really turn..According to the package, my strips only show "trace" amounts of ketones or none at all? However, I am still managing to lose some weight and I feel really good. Is it possible that my ketones are not released into the urine or something? My brother in law is doing the same plan. He has lost around 20 lbs in 2 months and his ketone strips actually turn purple? In the Atkin's book he said they should turn purple? I guess i'm just afriad I'm not doing something right or that my weight loss will stall?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 14:22

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Don't sweat the strips - some people never show anything and lose just fine. They ARE in ketosis, the strips just aren't registering it.

If it shows trace - then you are in ketosis. Showing dark purple is just a sign of dehydration.

Generally speaking, the best time to test is in the morning. You will get more consistent and reliable results.

Finally, as even Dr. A points out, the strips are not a required part of the program and many people have never peed on a stick.

Keep the Faith!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Stress strips

Lyndagayle,

When I first started LCing in July 01, I bought a bottle of the ketostix. I think I used that first bottle up in about 3 days!!! There are MANY different reasons they don't get dark purple. As WBAHN says, showing dark purple simply means dehydration. Reasons your ketostix might not change, or change very little: exercise - ketones are being used as you exercise, so they will not pass through your urine stream. Menstrual cycle - for some reason, during my TOM, I show nothing on the Ketostix - not even a trace. Water consumption - if you are drinking all the water you should, this will dilute the ketones being discarded in the urine. There are probably alot of other reasons the sticks don't change that I have not personally encountered (or have, and didn't know it!!).

Bottom line, don't let ketostix become a stressor, rather than a tool. The only time I look at them these days is if I'm leery about a new food (used them with LC bars), or if I'm increasing my carbs for OWL. The best indicators of ketosis are increased energy, decreased hunger, and weight loss (keto-breath, also).

Good luck!
Anna
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 182/163/140
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thanks..it could be the water...I am a teacher and my mouth gets dry..I probably consume so much water during the day that it could be affecting what the ketone strips say...it makes sense...Right now the scales aren't moving but my clothes fit..I just got into a pair of capri pants that were miserable feeling on me last year and this year they are very comfortable...yeah....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 07:53

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 158/156/124
BF:
Progress: 6%

I FIANLLY THINK I MADE IT!!!! I HAVE LOST #9 ITO THE FIFTH WEEK AND THIS TO ME IS PROGRESS BECAUSE I WASN'T LOSING ANYTHING BEFORE THIS BUT I WASN'T GAINING EITHER. THE PAST 2 DAYS MY KETONES ARE AS HIGH AS THEY CAN POSSIBLY BE SO HOPEFULLY NOW I AM BURNING FAT AND NO STALLS TIL I ACCOMPLISH THE REST FO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!!!