Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:58

Plan: atkins plan
Stats: 221/221/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy I think I messed up

I wanted to know if anyone has ever craved salty foods while on intro. The first week, I lost 10 pounds. Now, I am into the second week. Now I am starting to crave salty foods, fruits. So last night a ate 2oz of planters peanuts each ounce had 6grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber so I think it was a total of 8 grams total, (right). Then today I ate a granny smith apple and I think it took me out of ketoses. I use ketoses sticks every time I need to use the restroom and they stopped turning dark purple. So am I now out of ketoses and I totally messed up.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 21:19

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%
Default naw

hi there punky

First of all, it may well have been the combination of peanuts (are the devil) and that apple that did it to you. are you sure this is the only place your carbs came from? Even so, just jump back on track and you will be back in ketosis in no time flat, I can usually get back in less than a day. Have you tried munching on pork rinds for that salty/crunchy craving? I like the spicy kind

Second, drink more water. Those dark purple ketostix are tellling you you are dehydrated and are not drinking anough water to flush those ketones out of your system. Dark purple does not mean better. Any shade of pink means you are burning fat, but darker is not better. Get thee to a water fountain!

<marquee behavior=alternate> </marquee>
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 21:35

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Nuts of any kind on Induction are a no-no - as are fruits. So, yes, you messed up.

Big deal. Move on.

Most important - do NOT beat yourself up over it.

First of all, you didn't mess up that bad at all - in fact just marginally. And it's certainly not like you caved and had five donuts and a Hershey's bar!

Second of all, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

So just go back to what you were doing and try to figure out what you might do to prevent it in the future. Keeping non-allowed foods out of reach and keeping allowed foods in reach and munching liberally on them is a good way to address this type of behavior.

As for the ketostix - dark purple is not what you want. That is almost always a sign of dehydration. ANY sign of ketosis means the same as any other sign so strive to drink enough water to keep the stix showing a trace or a small amount of ketones.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 21:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/190/175
BF:
Progress: 79%

I usually hate salt, but I am much more tolerant on Atkins. The apple is probably what really did it, they are pretty bad. I eat a lot of Macademia nuts, they are much better than peanuts. The total carb count of the kind I buy is 3 grams per 1/4 cup, and I have seen a brand that is even less. I get them at Trader Joe's, if there is one in your area, that is the place to go. They are so expensive at the grocery store.

However, you should try to avoid these items if you are still on induction, they are more for post-induction diets. Just avoid those apples!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 23:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Punky- Hello there. Fruits are not allowed during Induction but pls don't worry, u could've done worse (by eating bread, candies...)
Are u reading the latest version of DANDR, the one with the white cover? Or the older version? Because in the older version, Dr. Atkins listed nuts as an Induction food (but not free-food). In the 2002 version he changed that. So if u're reading the book with the yellowish cover, than it's Dr. Atkins' fault
Good luck & happy low-carbing!

Bebe
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 06:23

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Punky

As William says, a mistake is a mistake, so move on.

Avoid nuts and apples for the time being, you need to get your body used to low carbing before adding higher carb foods in. You asked about the carb content. If you are in the US then the carb figures already include the fibre content and so the effective carbohydrate content (ECC) is the value given minus the fibre content. However, if you are in the UK the carbohydrate content is the ECC as fibre is always given separately.

Cravings of some kind can happen not just during induction, but may happen at any time. If your body wants salt it is just possible that you have flushed out more than it likes, so try adding a little more to your food to pep it up. Rather than table salt, Lo-salt, - I think that's what it is called - might be better which is the potassium equivalent and better for you.

The apple may have taken you out of ketosis, but as William says you really want to sticks to show only a low purple colour. A deeper colour indicates that you are not drinking enough fluids, particularly water. It is an easy mistake to make as it would seem sensible to aim for a dark purple colour.

Just jump straight back on the wagon and in a day or two you will be back in ketosis and heading in the right direction.