Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 02:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question A good low carb book for my nightime reading?

Hello everyone,
I've read the Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution (not the latest one though) & started low carbing since 1st Jan. I'm interested in reading other low-carb-books. I live in HK & it's a low carb desert. I can't buy any low carb products anywhere (sigh). Anyways, I would like to buy a few books on low-carbing, any good suggestions?
Q1: Should I buy Protein Power or Protein Power Lifeplan?
Q2: Has anyone read the book "Eat Right 4 Your Type? I know the book isn't about low-carbing, but is it worth a read?
Which low carb book did u enjoy reading the most? I'd love to hear your view. Thank u.
Bebe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 03:41

Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
I havent read alot of low carb books but the ones that I have read I enjoyed most is the new version of Atkins. The white book. I found it was better reading and more enjoyable and understandable. I have also read Sugar Busters and Susan Somers. I reccommend reading the new Atkins Book!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 07:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: A good low carb book for my nightime reading?

Quote:
Originally posted by disneybebe
Q1: Should I buy Protein Power or Protein Power Lifeplan?

Bebe, for a better understanding (the best IMHO) of LC i recommend PP. Nothing I have read yet does a better job of explaining the biology and chemistry behind why LC is so good for your health. The Eades do a great job of giving you the low down in both scientific and laymans terms - you won't be lost. More like you'll be jazzed for more info PPLP is less about diet and weight loss than it is about finding the optimal prescription for a healthy life - it would make a great pre maintenance read. I'd buy PP and get PPLP from the Library then you can decide if you want to add it to your LC library as well!

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 09:46

BF:
Wink

Dear Cheryl & Nat,
Thank u for answering my questions. Have a great day.
Bebe
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 16:52

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

I would suggest reading Protein Power as your second low-carb book. It will provide a good, solid understanding of low-carb theory and address some practical matters.

Another good read it The Schwarzbein Principle by Diane Schwarzbein, M.D. Actually, she's opposed to diets as low-carb as Atkins and Protein Power, but her plan is moderately low-carb just the same. And very high fat.

I won't try her plan till I'm ready for maintanance, but I found her book fascinating. She's an endrocrinologist and she describes a lot of metabolic processes in depth. (But at a readable level.) In fact, I think her arguments and reasoning better support Atkins or Protein Power than her own plan.

The one I would not recommend to a newbie is Thin For Good by Fred Pescatore, M.D. While it may be sound plan nutritionally, he doesn't even attempt to explain why this works. Instead he focuses on attitude adjustment. I'm all for having a good attitude but he seems to be fixed on the idea that I'm cheating all the time. I don't cheat, and he goes on and on telling me to stop cheating. Annoying.

I'd also suggest staying away from The Greenwich Diet by Carlin Colker, M.D. His plan is based on a specific, expensive brand of protein powder, which he wants you consume 3 - 4 times a day. Otherwise, his plan is Atkins' without pork. (He never explains his grudge against pork). He also recommends expensive vitamins by the same brand and expensive fat-burning pills (some call it legal speed) made by the same brand. And guess what? The book is published by the same brand he pushes throughout the book. Do I believe him when he says he doesn't profit from the sale of that brand's products? No.

You'll find you can get most of these from your local library system.

Allison

Last edited by allisonm : Fri, Feb-22-02 at 17:08.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 01:06

BF:
Wink

Dear Allison,
Thank u so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm gonna get the new Atkin's, PP & The Schwarzbein Principle. Did u know that the chinese people give out "lai-see" (they put money inside red packets to give to others during chinese new year)? Well, I got about US$250 "lai-see" this year & that's how I'm gonna spend it. Eventhough I haven't lost any weight, I still like this WOE (WOL) much better than when I was on a carb-addict-diet. I wanna read & know more about this WOL.
Thank u for your help, Allison.
Bebe