Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 23:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Question Atkins' Metabolic Response Formula

Hello,
Atkins book has a formua for metabolic resistance calculated according to lbs lost during induction. i.e if you have 20-50 lbs to lose and your rate of loss during induction is 6lbs, you're normal; 9lbs you have low resistance.

I read a rather stunning post here of a woman who averages 2-4 lbs per week on Atkins. Pretty impressive. But is that unrealistic? Or unhealthy?

Nat's posts claim 1-2 lb per week is healthy. SO would that woman's loss be unhealthy? It's hard to see that as a bad thing. But if it's unhealthy, then I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks for clarification.

Ruby

Last edited by ruby : Mon, Feb-04-02 at 13:24.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 07:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Atkins' Metabolic Response Formula

Quote:
Originally posted by ruby
I read a rather stunning post here of a woman who averages 2-4 lbs per week on Atkins. Pretty impressive. But is that unrealistic? Or unhealthy?
SO would that woman's loss be unhealthy? It's hard to see that as a bad thing. But if it's unhealthy, then I'd like to know more about it.

Assuming this woman has a typical lean body mass it's unhealthy. 2 lbs of FAT is generally the limit a woman can lose a week. 3 lbs of FAT is generally the limit a man can lose a week. Sure you can lose more than 2 lbs of WEIGHT a week - but remember WEIGHT incorporates lean muscle and water. We all lose water the first few weeks - because we have eliminated carbs and carbs attract water (1g of carbs will hold 3g of water). However, the absolutely last thing you would ever want to lose is lean muscle. Sure you'll weigh less - but you'll also have slowed down your metabolism. Muscle burns fat. The prefered source of food for muscle is FAT - more muscle mass, more fat burning - even while you're doing NOTHING.

Have you ever noticed that some people can lose 30 lbs of WEIGHT and still look flabby and soft?

While LCing provides an excellent environment for building muscle (adequate protein / lowered carbs) if you do not perform some kind of weight bearing exercises you're not going to build any. Also keep in mind its much easier for your body to tear down muscle for energy than it is for it to use fat.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Thumbs up Nat! Great Info! Thanks! Re: Easier to burn muscle for energy than fat for energy!

Nat,
Thanks very much. I certainly don't want to lose muscle. I didn't know about it being easier to burn muscle than fat for energy!

I didn't know this. That means I better keep up those calories. I'm doing quite well right now. But don't, absolutely don't, want to lose any musclel mass - because years ago, I did Jane Fonda's diet, and literally as starving. I lost weight but I think a great deal of muscle mass too. BTW, if I do weight training, can I build back what I lost, I mean restore my metabolism? Your post was great. And a very important reminder. I was tempted by this woman's results. And I sure don't want to look flabby............ isn't this the point.

Thanks so much. (You're such a glamour puss. I love that photo of yours. Are those ostrich feathers? Very fetching Nat. I'm going to get myself something like it when I'm down near goal.)

Thanks
Ruby
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ruby you certainly can build back muscle. And LC is a great environment to do it in - adequate protein and lowered carbs. If you're interested check out the subforms under Exercise. There are some great threads on getting started (at home and at the gym) and some ideas on the best exercises to do.

And thanks, that's my favourite little black dress (and those are ostrich feathers!). I think I'm going to have to have it taken in for next years holiday season though

N
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:08

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Great info. Nat!

Thanks, Nat! I needed to read that today!

Janice