Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 07:01
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Way Sore

I sure this had been brought up before, but I couldn't find it on a search. But I think I over did it at the gym (lifting weights). My entire body is sore and I can bearly move. Other than taking Aleve and a hot bath, are there any other suggestions to ease my muscle pain.

I know me and I am afraid that I may hurt myself and then start the whole psycological profile of not wanting to go to the gym again.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 08:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default you got it ...

You nailed the main 2 ...

But you may also find that a sports rub (Icy Hot, etc) may provide some relief.

Also, the supplement L-glutamine will help with recovery, as will an anti-oxidant blend.

Nutritionally, be sure that your protein is high (as it should be on an LC diet ...)

Above all, be sure that you DO NOT exercise again until all muscle of the sore muscle groups are recovered ... and then wait an extra day.

Try searching for DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. I posted an article on it recently, and I know that there have been others too.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 08:47
TerrieP

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Thanks for your prompt reply.

So, saying my muscles in my legs are not sore tomorrow (worked them Thursday), it would be okay to work that muscle group tomorrow?

Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 10:54

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default short answer ...

Yes, but with lower intensity. There is alot involved in the body's recovery process that goes beyond just recovery of the muscle fibers and energy reserves. You still have to consider the recovery of your hormonal system and central nervous system.

If you constantly beat yourself into the ground with super-intense workouts, you will not allow the body to recover fully ... then your gains stop ... then you're overtrained. No good.

The way around this is to cycle your intensity: Have most days be work days where intensity is high, but not to the point of all-out exhaustion.

Every once in a while (I like to do it every 2 weeks or so), go all out and try for personal bests in ALL of your lifts. Go for that 10 lb. increase in chest presses ... Try to nail that heavy squat that you know is JUST beyond your reach ... Of course, be sure to have a spotter around to help you.

Once per week, and always after an "all out" day, do a light workout where you go lighter than usual, but use REALLY REALLY strict form through a full range of motion and focus on contracting (squeezing) the muscle you are working (for example, when you do a biceps curl curl the weight up for 3 seconds, flex your biceps when the weight is in the "up" position, and then lower the weight.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 10:56
TerrieP

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Wow

Thanks for the great advice.