Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 23:35
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Artificial Sweetener Limit in New Atkins Book

I believe the new Atkins book (which I can't get here in Australia just yet) is a lot harder on the use of Artifical Sweeteners.

I do find these slow down my weight loss. I've been stalled for 5 days (too many low carb sweets on induction I expect).

Can someone please tell me what the new recommended intake of Splenda is per day on Induction? I heard 3 packets? I don't really understand what that measurement is. Here Splenda comes in little sachets that each measure 1/2 teaspoon. Is this what a packet is in North America?

Would SF Jelly still be allowed on Induction? I am not drinking diet sodas and hate aspartame, so that's not a problem.

I am also curious about whether Pork Rinds would slow weight loss?

Thanks
Kim

Last edited by K-Louise : Sun, Dec-30-01 at 17:37.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 23:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Kim,

I haven't read the latest Atkins book yet, and would love to hear from those who got it.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to voice my endorsement for Stevia, as the best natural sweetner. Best thing about it, is that it's a plant. If anyone has difficulty finding it in a local store, they can grow it in their garden I use it in combination with other sweetners due to a tip from Karen, that combining different sweetners intensify the effect and lessens the after taste.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 08:35

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The limit is 3 packets of sweetner a day.

Pretty much rules out diet sodas now.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 08:43

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default Re: A question please?

Quote:
Originally posted by K-Louise
I believe the new Atkins book is a lot harder on the use of Artifical Sweeteners.
Kim

That's the best news I've heard all day. I try to keep my intake of AS to an absolute minimum. Splenda has been my first choice because of it's ability to stand up to heat. I only use AS in baked desserts and never "raw" in anything else.

To confess, I occasionally have my tea with lemon and honey, and use maple syrup every couple of months. I've got it in my head that these sweeteners are "better" for me as they are less processed (at least by humans). When I make homemade bread, I use molasses or honey to feed the yeast.

Wa'il - what's the stand on baking with Stevia? Does it work?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 11:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Stevia retains its sweetness through heat and cooking.

Kim .. I believe that one serving of sugar-free jelly (and I'm assuming you are referring to what we here in the North country call Jello -- a fruit flavoured gelatin dessert) .. has equvalent sweetener in it to one packet of AS. I know that in previous versions of Diet Revolution, Atkins always permitted one serving of sugar-free gelatin dessert with a little unsweetened whipped heavy cream on it during Induction.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default What is a packet?

Thanks so much for the reply.

Now I just need to understand the quanity contained in "a packet". I'm not sure that is the same size as the sachets we have in Australia.

Our sachets measure in 1 gram weights which is equal to about 1/2 teaspoon in volume. Is that the same as "a packet"?

Thanks
Kim
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yes, one packet = one sachet .. sorry, I see now you asked that originally, and I missed it. Duh!

Just a word of caution if you ever wish to use the sachets in recipes ... Although the sachet contains 1/2 tsp of powder, it has the sweetening equivalence to 2 tsp (10 grams) of sugar. I'm not sure if you have bulk Splenda yet ... it's sold as a fluffy loose powder in a box with a pouring spout ... it measures exactly like sugar, ie 1 tsp = 1 tsp. If you were to substitute using the sachets in recipes ... you must remember that it is more concentrated ... therefore you use less.

hope this helps,

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:59
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you Doreen

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me.

I was also wondering why the bulk box I bought had different calorie values to the sachet, so you answered that for me too

Cheers
Kim