Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 119/119/115 Female 5ft 1.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Help! Fallen off the wagon!

Hi!
I started the Atkins diet three weeks ago. Found it enjoyable, and like others experienced many benefits like: sound sleep, freedom from obsessive thoughts about food ( carbs! ), lack of hunger! ) Plus I lost weight 7 lbs - although I know that a lot of it will have been water, i did lose fat too.

ANyway ,my difficulties came last weekend, I'd finished the induction, and had two dinner parties to go to. I knew that I wouldn't be able to do the Atkins over the weekend, so I just thought that I'd enjoy the food, not overeat, and then go back to the Atkins on Monday.

I managed beautifully over the weekend, but come monday I had the worst withdrawal symptoms ( from the carbs ) moodswings, I felt tearful & wobbly, and my bloodsugar was haywire. So instead of being sensible I binged on more junk, thought what the hell I know that its bad for me and makes me feel awful, and have continued for the past two days. I feel terrible, I know that I've more than likely undone all my good work on induction plus a bit more if I'm honest.

I feel so bad, guilty weak and stupid for choosing to eat the wrong foods.

I was wondering if others of you have experienced similar? Can you advise me how to deal with those 'dinner parties? so that there's no chance of history repeating itself. i'd appreciate any words of wisdom right now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 15:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hello

sorry U are feeling bad. its the guilt that will get ya everytime, human nature. All i can advise is to go back to induction phase and try to deal with the withdrawls symtoms because they wont last long. In a few dyas U will start to feel better. When I go out to a dinner party Im bold and ask what will be served. If there isnt much I can eat I bring my own. The hostess should be understanding to accomodate U. Good luck and take care
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 16:27

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

lizziea,
First, take a deep breath or two, try not to come down so hard on yourself, and make a plan, dahlin

If you feel so badly de-toxing "cold turkey," perhaps you can ease back in - one good way to do that is by using a banana - eating half a banana (one whole one per day) when you are really craving, along with your high protein meal. Then, after a couple days, go to only 1/2 a banana per day - then 1/4, then off.

One of the reasons it was SO bad this time is that your body was finally used to being healthy, then all that stuff got poured back in.

To handle the dinner parties, I'd suggest, number one, that you eat before you go - this will keep you from being tempted by all the carbs there. Then, hopefully at the party, you could pick and choose what you eat, depending (sticking with the meat dish and/or salad). If anyone asks, you can tell them that you are very carbohydrate-sensitive (which you are, by your detox symptoms), so have to be careful. People accept it much better if it's a "health" issue rather than a "diet" issue.

Shalom,
Sh'ra
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 05:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 119/119/115 Female 5ft 1.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the good advice! reading it has strengthened my resolve to do it today!
Woke up feeling groggy and yukky, quite sick in fact. Thinking about it I've felt like this for the past three days, and the only time I haven't has been just after eating carbs.

What more proof do I need that I am indeed 'carb sensitive'.
Thanks for the dinner party advice too. I think I'll avoid them until I'm squarely back on track.

Weighed myself this morning. I'm now 121 thats NINE puonds heavier than five days ago. I'm praying that a huge amount is water????

Anyway today I am back on induction!
Planning to eat some chicken & broccoli tonight and maybe a bit of cheese in the day, can't see me being particularly hungry though!

Thanks again for your words of encouragement! I feel stgonger for them!