Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: Forever Slim(Dr Robert Harris)
Stats: 221/167/120
BF:
Progress: 53%
Post Dangers of Soy

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

I found this interesting website about the dangers of eating soy.

All the more reason to eat proper protein and lo-carb.

Dazza
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs down Soy Alert

Quote:
Originally posted by dazza
I found this interesting website about the dangers of eating soy.
Mercola "copies" most of his stuff from others… You’ll find much better info on the Weston A. Price site at: Soy Alert.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 23:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dangers of Soy

Thanks for telling me the address for the info about soy and many other issues.Very useful.

Thank you very much

Dazza
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 23:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Bill,

Thanks for letting us know about this site. I've had a quick look around there & will return again when I have more time. Fresh, unprocessed food wins hands down, doesn't it?

Ruth
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 01:39
Registered Member

BF:
Default Soy Online Service NZ

Quote:
Originally posted by dazza
Thanks for telling me the address for the info about soy and many other issues. Very useful.
Closer to you there's Uncovering the truth about soy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 15:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

Good articles, but now I'm depressed. My son had to use soy formula when he was an infant, and he is dealing with many of the stated side effects. I never knew it could have came from the milk.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 16:37
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dangers of Soy

My daughter had soy milk as a baby also and she has problems also.
I wish I knew then what I know now.

Dazza
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 17:06

Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hmmm....

I don't know. These complaints sound suspiciously like all the articles that came out against hi-protein, lo carb diets about ten or fifteen years ago. Doctors - real doctors, with real degrees - came out and said, "You'll destroy your kidneys, you'll die of a heart attack, you'll increase your chances for stoke and diabetes." Lo, these many years later, the opposite has proven true.

Regarding soy isoflavons, the articles states as follows:

Quote:
animal studies indicate that they are powerful endocrine disrupters that alter growth patterns and cause sterility

Later, the article implies the following:

Quote:
As for girls, an alarming number are entering puberty much earlier than normal, according to a recent study reported in the journal Pediatrics.

The implication is that this is caused by the consuming of soy products. This is erroneous and quite misleading. The early onset of puberty has already been linked statistically both by medical and sociological experts with the increased use of human growth hormone in dairy and beef products.

General statements like that are not helpful. What kind of animal studies, done by whom and for how long? What kind of animals? Monkeys? Ape? Porcupines? Soy formula, tofu and soy-based meat substitutes have been on the market for almost 20 - 30 years now, plenty of time to establish a pattern of health history in human beings, particularly in developing infants and children. Where are those studies? And if the statement about puberty in girls is misleading, what else in these articles is subject to question.

I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but I do believe in being very cautious when it comes to accepting the word of people (or one person, in the form of one Sally Fallon, who is responsible for both articles) who seem to be very dedicated to getting other people to see it all their way. Let's stop and think for a second. I'm not saying soy isn't harmful. But who is Sally Fallon. What's her beef with soy (no pun intended)? Why should I take her word for the so-called "facts" she states in these two articles.

In 1992, there was a particularly vicious Internet campaign started against the makers of aspartame by one woman who had had a not so pleasant reaction to it. By the time she was done, the rumor had spread that aspartame was invented by the military as a chemical weapon. Aspartame may not be the healthiest thing around, but it's made from bananas and milk, and, unless you're allergic to it, it ain't gonna kill ya. If it did, people be droppin' dead in Starbucks left, right and center.

So before I go blaming my daughter's poor algebra grades on the soy-based formula I fed her during her first six months, I'm going to need to see some really detailed medical information from someone other than Sally Fallon.... preferably someone with some serious initials after their names, associated with Johns Hopkins or Mayo or the Centers for Disease Control, or some equally substantial institution.

Just call me the Resident Cynic.

Last edited by AmandaSo : Wed, Oct-31-01 at 17:13.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 01:35
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Don't confuse me with facts…

Quote:
Originally posted by AmandaSo
But who is Sally Fallon. What's her beef with soy (no pun intended)? Why should I take her word for the so-called "facts" she states in these two articles.
I fully agree with this! Who needs articles like Tofu causes Brain Shrinkage from the Journal of the American College of Nutrition when you can get all the medical literature you need from your local supermarket? Personally, I don’t read anything but the National Inquirer…
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 03:04

BF:

Ahhh, yes... hurtful, biting sarcasm.... That's almost certain to shed light on any controversial issue.

Thanks, Bill... I feel so put in my place now.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default Sarcasm vs. cynicism

Quote:
Ahhh, yes... hurtful, biting sarcasm....
And all of it brought to you courtesy of an (unshrunk) brain from California (not Hawaii)!

Just call me the Resident Sarcastic.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 11:05

BF:

First sarcasm, now outright insult. Your batting a thousand, Bill.

And you've managed to stop any intelligent, give-and-take discussion of the issue dead in its tracks. How does that further the cause of intelligent, enlightened, open-minded dialogue? My withered, shrunken brain isn't capable of answering that. Perhaps you can help.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 11:36
Registered Member

BF:
Arrow CQFD

Quote:
you've managed to stop any intelligent, give-and-take discussion of the issue dead in its tracks
If I’m not mistaken, you were the first one to concentrate entirely on personal editorializing rather than comment the article I posted on a well recognized medical issue…
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 11:43

BF:

No, go back and look at my original post. It's question after question. You chose to ignore those questions by flaming me. I found gross exagerations and misleading information in that article. I felt bound to point them out.

Everyone does not see things just one way. The way to dissect a subject and analyze it is not to simply tell someone they're stupid for disagreeing with you.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:
Arrow Tofu and Brain Aging

Quote:
No, go back and look at my original post. It's question after question. You chose to ignore those questions
If I'm not mistaken, those questions were: "What kind of animal studies, done by whom and for how long? What kind of animals? Monkeys? Ape? Porcupines? Where are those studies?" and the follow-up article I posted answers that: "Who: Men who ate the most tofu during their mid-40s to mid-60s. Year: 1965. Where: Hawaii Author: Lon White, MD. Place: Hawaii Center for Health Research. Publisher: Journal of the American College of Nutrition," etc.