Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 194/189/154
BF:
Progress:
Default hiya im new and need some help please

Hi all just found this site and i am buzzing because it looks like this will get me through it.
My real name is sue but i go by Damsel as you can guess why.
I started Atkins diet on Monday but let someone borrow my book.I have been eating bacon chicken steak eggs diet cola water tea and coffe with a drop of semi skimmed milk is this ok?
Ive got the ketosticks i am inbetween no 8 and 16 large which i think means im in ketosis.
were does anyone get all there low carb special goodies from in the uk?
If anyone has got any advise please reply
Nice to meet you all
Damsel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 13:44

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Sue - If the book you are talking about is Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution - go find the person who has yours and un-borrow it.

Your food list looks like a start, but you will need to add some veggies to your daily menu - like a salad and a cup of something like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans or asparagus. Toss the milk to the cats and use real cream in your coffee. Your carb count should be up to 20 g per day for the first 2 weeks.

Welcome, and happy low carbing.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 14:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I know i could go mad i let her have it 3 weeks ago so as i could have it back when i started she keeps orgetting to bring it back in what a bummer.Shes pomised it to me on Monday.

I havent had any veg or salad because i thought i couldnt have it until i was in ketosis nevermind lookin forward to having some.When you say cream do you mean full milk or cream as in what you would usually put on a cake.Will coffe be ok to drink or does that slow the process down.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 16:59

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile

Hi and welcome
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 18:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Damsel
When you say cream do you mean full milk or cream as in what you would usually put on a cake.Will coffe be ok to drink or does that slow the process down.

Cream is whipping cream in canada and the US, in the UK I believe its Double Cream (35% fat). Basically the higher the fat count the less the carbs and that's what you want. Atkin's advises against caffiene but many on his plan still have the occasional cup. I follow PP and have one or two small cups a day. You could try switching to decaf if you'd prefer. Remember that caffiene is a diuretic, so be sure to consume more water if you do indulge.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 01:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for that i think i will just stop drinkin coffee.I like the thought of double cream can i put it in a protein shake instead of milk then?how many carbs will that be though?will that mean that i cant have my veg or salad if i have a protein drink?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 05:18

Morning Sue -

Cream is better than milk, and salad is better than protein shakes. And listen to Nat, the higher the fat content the better. Devonshire clotted cream is totally legal The stuff I get here is labelled as 47% mf, and I smear it on sugar free jello and legal cheesecakes.

On a visit to England I discovered cream. What we have here isn't cream - it's thick milk. What you have THERE is CREAM. Even your milk is CREAM. My dh and I stopped for a coffee in Lymington at a posh little cafe where the put a small pitcher on the table and I swear, I sipped the coffee and then drank all the cream. When he saw that, my dh took me right out to a bakery where he bought me a small tub of the clotted cream and some plain biscuits to dip into it. I was ready to rip up my return plane tickets.

On the 2 week induction period it's better to eat wholesome foods from the farm. Once past that point, you can add low carb manufactured products.

Be careful about high-protein drinks tho - I've found they often have high carb counts, ... unless they specifically advertise themselves as low carb - read all your food labels.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 05:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

THANKS L C SPONGE.
IVE BEEN OUT TO BUY CREAM I GOT DOUBLE CREAM THAT WAS THE LOWEST CARBS 2.6 PER 100ML.MY HUSBAND HAS GOT A PROTEIN POWDER WHICH IS 6g PER SERVING PROLAB PURE WHEY.BUT IVE JUST BEEN LOOKING AT THE SHOP LINKS AND IT HAD BIOTEST WHICH IS ONLY 2g PER SERVING.
RIGHT I WAS THINKIN OF HAVIN PRAWNS FOR MY LUNCH WITH MAYO BECAUSE THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING HAS GOT LOADS OF CARBS,AND SOME SALAD HOW MUCH SALAD WOULD YOU SAY.
I AM HAVING SMOKED FISH FOR TEA WITH BROCOLLI.
HOW DOES THAT SOUND TO YOU.I AM DRINKIN TEA WITHOUT MILK.
I AM FEELIN REARING TO GO NOW THAT IVE FOUND THIS SITE LOTS TO HELP US,I WAS PRETTY DOWNHEARTED LAST NIGHT IT MUST BE WHEN YOU ARE SITTTIN JUST BEFORE YOU GO TO BED AND YOUR MIND PLAYS TRICKS WITH YOU.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 05:56

Hi Sue - mayo is fine - provided there is little or no sugar in it - I don't know what varieties you get in the UK but in Canada Helman's is a better choice over Miracle Whip. That's why 1000 Island is - it's the sugar in the relish that's in it.

Ranch dressing is another popular choice for salad dressing - it often has a low carb count. Making your own oil and vinegar and herb dressing is a good idea too.

A cup of romain lettuce with cukes an celery chopped over it, served with your prawns is a terrific lunch.

And smoked fish with broccoli sounds great.

You are off to a great start - this low carb dieting REALLY works - provided you are not afraid to eat fat. It's a whole readjustment of thinking. In the first 2 weeks on Atkins for me, I went through 2 whole pounds of butter and lost 9 pounds.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 06:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks lc sponge
what did you put the butter on or in?
how do i work out how many kcals to have ?i wegh 189lbs.
i think this week i havent been having hardly any fat ,as you have probably heard im waiting for my book the last time i read it was the begin of june so i cant rem alot of it but i hope to be gettin it back tommorrow
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 06:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

by the way can i have a bit of red onion and cucumber?
im ready for my lunch now yummy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 06:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Welcome Sue

Cucumber you can have plenty of. Red onion - probably better to limit it a little until after Induction.

ALL the shop-mayonnaise has some sugar in it - there are several very easy and delicious recipies for making it at home without sugar in the Forum. I buy Hellman's on occasion but make sure it it "Real" Hellman's. The Light varieties have too much carb-content.

PROTEIN-Whey has aspartame-based sweetner in it - very small print . Whilst the carb-content is GREAT it is useful to be a little wary of it and its effect on you. I do mix mine with double cream and isn't it yummmmmy.

I know all about lending books: some years back I made a tough-love decision: you can read my book in my presence but not take it away - whatever book it is. It is too much hassle not having a book to hand when I NEED it - and I never know when something will remind me of a book on my shelf.

You are doing very well. Keep it up.
Take care.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 07:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

ive just had my lunch wow it was lovely prawns with hellmans real mayo 1 iceberg lettuce leaf cucumber little red onion lovely.i am drinking perfectly clear sping water which has no carbs in.i looked at all the flavoured water in asda and all as they had with nil carbs was the perfectly clear small bottles.
about the protein powder ive not tried it yet, my husband has it 2 times a day he is bulkin up but i thought if i could use his that would be great save me some money.Have you heard of the biotest one though its only got 2g carbs?
thanks Fiona i seem to be gettin hooked on this site
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 08:31

Sue - I put butter on everything during weeks 1&2. You name any legal low carb induction food and I put butter on it. From broccoli to pork chops... If I'd though of trying butter in my decaf coffee, I probably would have.

I seem to be one of the few (?) who had NO PROBLEM with the concept of eating FAT. I was like a kid let loose in a candy store. I discovered I could eat a whole lobster drowning in butter and wake up 2 pounds lighter. I didn't care what ANYBODY said, I was sure I had died and gone to heaven. I never felt that way on weight watchers

After I stopped laughing at the snack recipe in dr. atkins book, the one where you wrap cheese in bacon and deep fry it, I pretty much had a solid handle on what I was supposed to do: LOSE THE FEAR OF FAT.

And I did. You will too.

Fiona - I've made the same resolution. I lent DANDR out once and had to chase the person to get it back - now I don't lend. I've heard of one Atkins follower who buys up the used DANDR's at used bookstores and gives them out as gifts.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 08:45
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

ive just had a try of doing a protein shake just to try i done 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder 3/4 pint of water 1/4 double cream and to tell you the truth it tasted to watery,should my quantities be diferent?

I will have to have a go with this butter lark i could put it on my fish that would be nice.
did you put it in your veg?and if so how? i boil my veg in boiling water.