Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ckd
Stats: 190/175/130
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Heavy Cream v. Low Fat Milk

It seems that they have the same number of carbs (whipping cream v. 2% milk) per serving. Why use cream over milk?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/200.5/140 Female 62 inches
BF:43%
Progress: 10%

Because it tastes better?

My Netzer carb counter book list whipping cream (35%) as 6.6g per cup, while milk(2%) is 11.7g per cup.
If I need something with more of a milk consistency. I could use a half cream/half water mixture and save myself another 3g or so.
Plus cream is just so much more decadant. Cream on berries, cream in coffee, cream in a protein shake, cream by itself...Ok off to get some cream!
HTH!
Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmm. Where are you getting this information from?

One of the best tools in the low-carb tool kit is a carbohydrate counter. There is one in Low-Carb tools at the top of the page. Corrinne T. Netzers Complete Book of Food Counts is a great portable one to have around. I referred to it constantly when I first started this way of life.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb dairy products

The higher the fat content, the LOWER the carbs. So, full-fat cottage cheese, regular sour cream, ricotta etc .... is going to be lower in carbs than the low-fat and especially the fat-free types. Not only do lowfat dairly products have more lactose in NATURE, but often manufacturers will add starch ingredients to thicken product, to make up for the missing fat.

Doreen

p.s. - Check out our online carb & nutrient data counter ... click on Low Carb Tools from the menu bar at the top of the page. You can find out the true carb counts of foods.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ckd
Stats: 190/175/130
BF:
Progress: 25%

At the bottom of both nutritional panels it says:

calories per gram

fat 9 carb 4 protein 4

The 2% and the whipping cream are exactly the same. This is different than carb content?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:53
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile hi essjay

Actually, that is not the carb/protien/fat content of the milk or the cream. In fact .. that is data explaining to the consumer how many calories there are per gram of fat, carbs and protein.

Fat has approx. 9 calories per gm, Carbs approx. 4 calories per gm, and protein approx. 4 calories per gm. Doesn't matter if the food is meat, vegetable, grain or dairy ... that is how they calculate how many calories are in the food.

You need to look closer at the actual nutrient data on the label for grams of protein, fat and carb per serving of the particular food. Not sure where you're located, but in the USA, labels are permitted to list a food as "zero" carbs if one serving of the food has less than 1 gram in it. For heavy cream, a serving is considered as 1 Tbsp ... which has 0.4g carbs in it. The label will show zero, so you might be misled into thinking that a whole cup of the cream will still have zero carbs in it!!

If you want to be successful with lowcarbing, it really would be good to get your hands on an accurate carb counter book, or to use the online carb counter tools we've mentioned for you.

Hope this clears up the confusion for you

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 12:01

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%

I know that you can't always rely on what the Nutritional Values tag says...but I've been under the understanding that heavy whipping cream had no carbohydrates. I knew that they would fidget with a carb here and a carb there...but 3 carbs??? That doesn't seem to make sense....*thoroughly confused now*
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 13:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Trust no one, especially food manufacturers.

Most dairy products have carbs. Even butter has carbs. Shift your understanding to dairy products having carbs and it will make more sense. I know Atkins lists dairy as a free food, but it's not. It has to be included as part of the count.

That is why we stress self-education through reading, researching and asking questions. With this way of life, knowledge is power.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 14:34

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default 3 carbs?

Quote:
I knew that they would fidget with a carb here and a carb there...but 3 carbs??? That doesn't seem to make sense....*thoroughly confused now*

Soon2BThin,

Where are you getting the 3 grams of carbs? That would be the amount of carbs in almost 1/2 a cup of heavy whipping cream.

I agree about how confusing it all is. I buy the Horizon Organic Cream and it says 0 carbs for the 1 TBS serving size. As Doreen pointed out, it really has 0.4 carbs.

Katherine
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 15:33
europoz

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default ~

~
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 15:54

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%

Katherine -

I mentioned the 3 carbs (1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream) mainly because I use the cream in some of my recipes...and it was a little frustrating to go from 0 grams to 3 grams extra per 1/2 cup.

I make this KILLER mushroom cream chicken (If any of you would like the recipe - let me know!!!)...and in it, I use about 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. I was just frustrated to know that there were about 6 more grams of carbs to the recipe than I thought (it's still well within the limit...but just a little annoying).

Thanks for all the advice you guys!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 17:11
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: USDA

Quote:
Originally posted by europoz
essjay, if you don’t feel like purchasing Corinne T. Netzer’s Complete Book of Food Counts or if you want a completely free —though American—~carb counting resource, I would like to suggest the inevasible USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference.
hi europoz

If you click on our Low Carb Tools link, on the menu bar at the top, you'll see that Our Very Own Excellent and all-round Amazing webmaster Wa'il (tamarian) has created a Carb Counter tool for us that is linked to the USDA, the most recent release #14, July 2001. It is more user friendly, in my most humble opinion .. and very versatile. When you type in the name of the food, the first page you will see contains listings of carbs, fiber, protein and effective carbs for a 100g portion. All you have to do is click on the food name -- you will then be taken to a nutrient data sheet, with a full nutrient listing, vitamins and minerals, as well as the option to choose different portion sizes, such as 1 cup or 1 Tbsp, or 1 medium (eg, a whole vegetable, or an egg) or 1 oz.

He has also developed a very useful "Hidden Carbs" calculator, for processed foods which may have undeclared carbs hiding in the ingredients. Check it out!!!

(A book is still a good thing to have for when you're not on-line )

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 18:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Not sure where you're located, but in the USA, labels are permitted to list a food as "zero" carbs if one serving of the food has less than 1 gram in it.

That is sooo annoying, I wish the FDA would get on their behinds and make them list actual counts. However, today I looked at my bag of Kraft shredded cheddar cheese and the carb count said:
carbohydrates: <1.

Yay Kraft for at least admitting there's carbs in there!

#14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:26

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%

I like this topic,, I switched from skim milk and low fat salad dressing and margarine and light cheese slices to HOMO milk and regular dressings and tonnes of mayo and butter and bacon and cheese I was prepared to blow up like a pig and have a heart attack from clogged arteries on the way.. hahahaha So imagine my surprise when I started to loose weight....

I realized that this plan was indeed onto something and we have been misinformed for years about what to eat and what not to eat. I can finally be at peace and know that what I am eating my body was built to burn....????

The proof is in the pudding!

I love my fats.. yummy yummy!

Shannon
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 20:06
europoz

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default ~

~