Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 07:35
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 232/182/130 Female 5'6 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Problem accepting new sizes.

Recently I went shopping to buy new clothes...Everthing I had was hanging on me like a bad tent. I realized something, while wondering through the department stores. I kept going back to the Plus size clothes. I have gone from size 18-20 jeans, to a size 10 Levi's (stretch fit) but its like a addiction with me. I felt so out of place standing in the normal size clothes section. I felt so embarrassed each time I would take jeans, or normal sized shirts to the dressing room, and the attendant would look at them. All I could think was that she was thinking "how does she think she can fit in that?"....It took me over 2 weeks to buy 2 pairs of jeans, and 3 shirts, and I shopped most everyday. I just kept trying on clothes that were too big. Does anyone else have this problem? I know its crazy...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 07:41

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydust
Does anyone else have this problem? I know its crazy...
uh...NO!!! lol
babe, I'm so thrilled to be shopping the "small" clothes section I'm pretty sure that my grin could light up Seattle. ( If they could figure out how to tap into the wattage, that is. )
I'm thinking you're afraid someone will pinch you and you'll wake up to find it's all a dream....so mebbe you need a "DON'T PINCH ME!!" T-shirt.

CONGRATS!!!!!!! on your success - you DESERVE it!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:18
Twinkle Toes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hey Honeydust

I know exactly what you mean...went shopping the other day for a light jacket and selected a size 3 (Big Wimmen 3), when I got home DH said, I think you should have gone a size smaller, that one looks big on you, so next day off I go back to the store and tried on a size 2, it fit perfectly. Another area I seem to be having an adjustment problem to is bras, I can't seem to grasp that I've gone down 6 sizes "up there" and always look for the bigger size than I need.

I reckon it's from losing what I've lost faster than I put it on, my brain hasn't caught up with the changes yet.

But I'll tell ya, I'd far rather be having this problem than the alternative, which would be buying clothes that are a size smaller than I should be wearing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 232/182/130 Female 5'6 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thanks for the replies. Dont get me wrong, I love the new sizes..I just find myself thinking I am still a 20 instead of a 10, and I have problems with what others are thinking. Nik..you are so funny....I have done the same thing with the bra sizes. Dont miss them at all .....and you are right about the buying clothes too small...its nothing worse than a large person in small clothes.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 10:44

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I usually pick up at least one size too big and then have to have someone bring me a smaller size into the changeroom..... This is very closely related to another current thread about how we perceive ourselves.

Enjoy the day.

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 15:42

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Yes!!! I do the exact same thing. I always look at the cute clothes, and then I am like, why bother, these are way too small to fit someone like me, and then maybe as a lark, I will try them on, and lo and behold they do fit!! I went from a size 22 to a 10 or now...just this weekend, I was taking off my jeans, and they are a size 10, I pulled them off without a struggle, and without unfastening them!!! I actually thought, hey, these feel kinda loose, and I just pushed them off!! Now that should have been a Kodak moment!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 13:24

Plan: Atkins-maintwhilepregnant
Stats: 201//135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Right there with ya, but...

...maybe this is even more sad: I'm SCARED TO GO SHOPPING. I'm afraid that I'll find out I wear the same size still, and that the looseness of my current clothing is just that I have stretched them out over time (they are "stretch" jeans, so it is possible)... It helps that my DH and I are trying to save money right now, and I really shouldn't spend money on clothes that I hope to not wear for more than another 6 months, but I know I need to get over it and at least go out and try things on and figure out what size I am and if I'm just crazy thinking that I will find out I'm still the same size.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 14:17

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Take your measurements and then look in the Penney's or whatever catalog. You will probably be amazed.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 18:14

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

If this helps, I've been buying jeans and other stuff on Ebay lately. I've picked up several pairs of brand new levis for .99! This helps a lot if you are losing weight and don't want to spend a bunch on new clothes. Probably only works well for generic items like jeans and t-shirts since you can't try anything on.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 19:27
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz
If this helps, I've been buying jeans and other stuff on Ebay lately. I've picked up several pairs of brand new levis for .99! This helps a lot if you are losing weight and don't want to spend a bunch on new clothes. Probably only works well for generic items like jeans and t-shirts since you can't try anything on.

GREAT idea about ebay!!!! IT IS hard to change the 'number' in our heads to match our new outsides!

Dawn
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 19:02

Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

I had the opposite problem, probably because I gained weight relatively fast. I kept getting sizes that were waaaaaay too small. I would take a 14 off the rack when I fit a 20. When the 14 didn't I could barely hold back the tears.

When i was slimmer, I also tended to think I would wear a smaller size. The only store that has sizes that match my perception is the Gap, which is why I love shopping there
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 11:50
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I do something that I just realized- if something doesn't look "right" I get the next biggest size. Now I realize I need the next smaller size. I also gravitate to the kind of clothes I used to wear, not what looks good now. I love that I can walk into any store and get clothes, but I'm still learning what looks good. In the mirror and in photos I look different to myself, too.
Goodwill was a great place to buy clothes too- and you can try them on.
Good luck-
Eno