Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 16:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196.5/192/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:Whoah!
Progress: 6%
Default Self-conscious*

I'm pretty self-conscious about my body. It isn't just my weight even though for a while it was a big part of the reason. I've always been a bit bigger than most kids when I was little. In high school I went to a school where the cliques were just so obvious and so split because it was such a small school. All the girls acted the same, dressed the same, wore their hair all highlighted the same; it was gross They were one clique and the rest of the girls in the school were mumblejumble into another. I was friends with the cheerleaders but I certainly didn't look the part.

Then there was a stressful time in freshman year and all of a sudden I developed a skin condition called psoriasis (ps). For those who don't know much about ps, the skin can look all red and splotchy and flakey. It doesn't look attractive and I have it on 65% of my body. I live in Florida and I couldn't wear shorts or tank tops like all the other girls (my twin is lucky not to have it). I went to Thailand and it was 100 degree weather and I dressed like it was a winter in NY. If I went to the beach and wore shorts with my ps showing all over, I'd get stares and even pointers. People ask me if it's contagious. I learned a lot about patience those four years in high school.

I gained weight because I was feeling low about what I had. I was jealous that my sister was shedding her baby fat that we shared for years because she could go and work out in anything she wanted and I'd bundle up until it was so hot I didn't even want to go outside. She got invited to every event and I sat at home and pitied myself.

Eventually college came around. I sucked it up and went to the gym anyway even though I was covered neck to toe. I met new people and got away from the stress at home and as I lost weight my psoriasis went away. I wore shorts and skirts and I went to the beach

Aw... but silly me! I snagged myself a boyfriend who didn't care that I have ps and I gained some weight and **smacks head** of course my ps came back. I'm self-conscious again because of my skin but now I weigh more than I've ever weighed and that adds to it.

But I'm glad I realized what was happening before it was TOO TOO late and I'm happy I found this place and that I joined the Atkins diet AND A GYM! I still look/ feel gross but I'm determined to lose the weight because I know it will make my psoriasis go away*

Good luck to everyone!*!*!*!*!
RD
listening to: Flaming Lips - Do you realize?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 03:48
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Awwwww it's lovely to have you on board - I'm a mum of twin girls - are you still close to your sister??

I think you've done the right thing by coming here and introducting yourself - people are so friendly here, make sure you keep coming back and asking loads of questions and in no time you'll have made some wonderful friends and will be thinner too!!

Have fun and keep in touch!
Emma xx
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 04:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%
Default welcome!

Rumdum,
Welcome! first of all...

I know just how you feel...the highschool years are brutal.

Don't worry, you are who you are and this group will accept you as one of their own...everyone is welcome here.

You'll find lots of support and love here...

bob