Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/128.5/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Starting OWL, what was your experience?

I'm in the last few days of induction and I'm getting ready to start OWL soon, but I'm a little worried that transitioning to OWL will make me stall or give up. I only have about 15 pounds to lose, but it's been hard to get rid of them, and I'm afraid that this change to a different stage will wreck my good behavior so far. Plus... my Dad and husband are also lcing and I'm in charge of doing all the research and telling them what we're supposed to do next, and I don't want to let them down (my Dad's lost 11 pounds and my husband is down 9, so they're happy so far).

Can people who have already gone from induction to OWL please share their experience? What did you do? How did you feel? What happened to your weight loss? Any tips for success?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 20:31

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I felt good for the first time doing Atkins after moving to OWL. My weight loss finally kicked in during OWL. For me moving to OWL was what kept me doing atkins. I would have given up if I had tried to stay on induction for longer. As for tips, all I can say is snack snack snack *with legal foods* be prepared. Have things made up and ready to eat at all times just in case you need something fast so you won't be tempted to go for the wrong things. Don't look at your scale or if you do, don't let it rule your emotions. Don't worry about stalls, sometimes your body just needs time to catch up or to adjust to something new. Don't panic when your time of the month comes and you see your weight go up.. it will soon go right back down, that's normal. Enjoy learning to make new favorites, buy a new cookbook and learn how to follow your plan for life. When you get towards the end, expect things to take a little longer because in reality, they do. Add foods very slowly and learn to listen to your body. Each of you might have different foods that trigger hunger or give you problems.

Goodluck!
Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 16:58

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

You're really close to your goal weight. Staying on induction is meant for people who have a lot more to lose. I found I actually started losing again by moving to OWL. I had the dreaded week 3 stall and it lasted 3 weeks! As soon as I bumped my carbs up to 25 I started losing again.

Be prepared for slow weight loss. You're so close to goal and female. You will not lose at the same rate as your husband or father. You might also re-read the pre-maintenance chapters to see if thats appropriate for you now.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 18:59

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

Add your new foods in one at a time--I tried something new each week and that way I kept my carb count down while expanding my food choices.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 19:44

Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%

I'm trying to move on to OWL but it's hard for me to get to 25 carbs a day. Not that I don't want to, but I'm fully satisfied with what I eat daily.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

in my experience when I started OWL I started losing again, but it was that taste of more freedom that made me have to start over. i am just saying be careful. absolutely go on to OWL if you think you are ready, but only add healthy carbs. and add them back slowly.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 20:21
Registered Member

Stats: 136/128.5/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thank you all, I've actually stayed on induction for a few more days due to a recent trip where there was a lot of eating, even though I did my best to keep it low-carb (avoiding the usual suspects), I'm still not totally sure that the meals we were served (at a couple of formal dinners) didn't contain any hidden carbs. The past couple of days I've found myself being worried about moving on to OWL, in line with what several of you have said, I'm afraid of the new freedom! I have gone on short-lived diets in the past, and knowing that I can add back some foods is starting to feel like I'm going off this WOE (although I know that won't be the case, but it still feels that way).

CindyG, this is week 3 for me, and I haven't lost at all, so hearing about your experience is definitely inspiring.

Shoer, could you give me an example of what you added and how?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 12:14

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default What Freedom?

Now I am worried ! What freedom comes with OWL? I thought we could add only 5 good carbs a week until we stop losing and then back off 5 carbs and continue there until we get within 10 pounds of our goal and then onto the next stage? Do I have this wrong? I am on my last day of Induction and am nervous about OWL as well, but do plan on having a mex meal that will contain 2 tortillas and a small amount of rice that I normally wouldn't have. The rest will actually be allowed in Induction! Ok. I will confess I am also having desert, but that was the prize I had planned for getting through Induction successfully! Then I will go back on Induction for three days and then move into OWL. I am only treating myself to a freebie meal and not a full day of carb frenzie. I just can't believe how well I feel now that I am eating the way God intended. Ok, let's wait until I can have fruit before I go there! But the difference is amazing. One of the hardest things about this though would be the pressure from my family (aunts, and such). Everytime I see them or talk to them I get lectured on how Atkins is just another fad diet and it won't work. Really encouraging! I think they are afraid I will feel better, eat better, and look better and so are trying to ruin my new lifestyle! That is what this is! A lifestyle, not a diet. A diet is something one does so that they can lose the weight then go back to eating the way they want. A lifestyle change is for life! And I think that is the difference between success and failure with any eating plan! Your attitude and degree of commitment!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 12:58
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
I am on my last day of Induction and am nervous about OWL as well, but do plan on having a mex meal that will contain 2 tortillas and a small amount of rice that I normally wouldn't have. The rest will actually be allowed in Induction! Ok. I will confess I am also having desert, but that was the prize I had planned for getting through Induction successfully!
Why choose food as "a reward or a prize"? Why not go for a massage or a manicure or buy a new t-shirt or a book anything not related to food.

Why go through the induction headaches etc to go back to old foods and then try to redo induction to try and resestablish ketosis?

If it has to be food skip the tortillas, beans and dessert. There are plenty of lc mexican food choices.

red
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 208/179/170 Male 67 inches
BF:a whole bunch
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpreece
I'm trying to move on to OWL but it's hard for me to get to 25 carbs a day. Not that I don't want to, but I'm fully satisfied with what I eat daily.

oh man i was the exact same way, it seemed hard for me to move to OWL, what i did was add a salad in for snack in the afternoon, and also had a salad at dinner, with some stemaed broccoli, that helped kick me up the notch i needed to 25g,
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 14:27

BF:
Default I know...shame on me!

I know I shouldn't live for the treat meal, but you see, I have given up so much and just the thought of the one meal has been helpful! Buying clothes certainly won't be a treat because I have the wardrobe of 4 women in my closet! Tossing as I lose will be the treat. Realistically, those old food loves will always be there! I don't think having a small mexican meal that I adore will be harmful unless I do it over and over again! The next freebie meal I will have is Thanksgiving! Sorry, but a few bites of this and that won't undue what I am accomplishing! Since I am in charge of desert I will also be in charge of content of said desert and I plan on utilizing what I am finally learning! So, the worst will be maybe a half cup of stuffing, unless my aunt forgets and uses chicken broth, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes with gravy, and a slice or two of my soon to be new and inproved desert that I have been baking for the occasiion for over 20 years! Anyone have lowcarb crusts they want to share? The rest of the meal will be the turkey and veggies! I think I can resist the bread in exchange for that pie! The thing is, like anything we work hard at, a treat is needed and appreciated! To me, I can buy clothes and movies and such and it just wouldn't be the same! Now a little sinful eating during one and only one meal won't kill my lifestyle change and neither will the next treat of a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with my family! See, I am not going to do this once a day, once a week, or really once a month! I wouldn't indulge myself for another , what?---74 days? And, to compensate for the wild treat I will have tomorrow, which amounts to 2 corn tortillas and 1/2 cup of rice, I will elininate the allowed fats and spend an hour on the treatmill and drink an extra 32 ounces of water and I am only going back on Induction for three days because as I understand it, if you blow it you should step back for a few days or however long needed and get back on track. I am truly dedicated to this new lifestyle, but also realize that occassional treats are a must in order to prevent binging, because a lot of times people will bing when they feel deprived and while I don't really feel as though I am depriving myself all that much, I do know the occassional treat won't hurt my efforts and that I can easily get back on track. And think about it, I have been on Induction for 14 days now and just how do you think my body will react to the added carbs? I feel it will shock my system and before all that much of those carbs has a chance to destroy my progress and be absorbed by my body, well my body will deal with it in a way I feel awkward to express. Whenever I ate mexican in the past my body would rebel so I really don't expect it to react any different! Once that meal is over I will do those three days of Induction then go into OWL! And, depending on my weightloss, I will up the carbs by 5 until I am within 10 pounds of my goal or stall out. Then I will look back at my food journal, which I will begin tonight and carry around in my purse, and see what I have done wrong. I am tempted to make my own in WORD and get it bound. Just not sure yet! Good thing I have a big purse! I can hardly wait until I can have fruits again! Especially strawberries!

What I really love about this forum is that everyone cares so much for others and when you all responded to my freebie...well that made me feel good. I may be wrong in eating those two corn tortillas and 1/2 cup rice, but I am willing to pay the price! Now, if it were to become a habit! Whew! But, it won't because I don't want to be a fat old lady that can hardly move and hurts all the time! Well, at least not because of the fat. The good news about this lifestyle change is that my husband and son are getting into it, except they aren't giving up the breads and occassional junk. They are of a weight where they don't have to worry and they both workout at the gym more than I do and so are in fabulous shape. But, they are now eating more meat and veggies and for that I am thrilled!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 22:13

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Dr. A said one bite was the "kiss of death."

You've gone to a lot of trouble to justify it, but don't be surprised when some of the old hands shake their heads sadly.

Every failure starts with one bite. This is your chance to take the right path! You've got time to think about it, do it right!
Which is worth more to you: one carby "treat" which will set you back several days and make you feel crappy, or losing the weight you want to lose?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 01:23

BF:
Default Ok

I've argued with myself all evening and won't be going to the restraunt! I have worked too hard to get to this point. But, Thanksgiving and Christmas are not days I am going to worry about each and every carb. I do feel I am strong enough to take just a bite and then walk away and not go back for just one more. And, I didn't really go to all that extent to justify, I just tend to be overly wordy on anything I do. Need to get a job because I have way too much time on my hands! Thanks for the concern!