Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 07:53
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default SUPER SIZE ME in a theater near you

I thought it was great, but I had issues with things some of the docs said. For instance more than one of Morgan's docs were saying that his liver was messed up from being on a high fat diet-and they were pretty much avoiding all the other crap in his diet except for the nutritionist (she pointed out the excess sugar and refined carbs). I don't believe it was the extra fat he was consuming. I think it was the existence of excess fat COMBINED with excess carbs, but primarily the TRANS fats and the refined carbs. All that plus the fact that many fast-food places just aren't clean enough and things get nasty back in the kitchen. I have worked in two deli's (Winn Dixie AND Publix, and the latter is supposed to be a "nice" grocery store) and I can tell you from experience, almost no one in the food industry follows sanitary rules to the T. I give the film two thumbs up, or as the poster for the movie says "I'm Lovin It!".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 14:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I saw this this past weekend. It definitely had a strong vegan agenda as it featured doctors from PCRM and the film maker's GF was a vegan.

Nearly all the blame for his problems was laid on the door step of fat, yet he consumed an amazing amount of sugar in the form of soda. He woke up in the night having what sounded to me like was a hypoglycemic reaction, heart palpitations, sweats, difficulty breathing. So of course they check out his heart, which is fine. They never think to check out low blood sugar as a possible cause.

All in all, I think it was interesting that his numbers and weight shot up so dramatically. I'd love to see the experiment repeated but without the sugar and starches. I bet the outcome would be 100% different.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 09:58

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Funny, if scary, movie

I laughed hard when the vegan chef girlfriend said she was going to help her boyfriend recover by putting him on a diet of "cleansing vegetables". I almost had a stroke in the theater.....people looked at me! Vegans are very strange creatures! No Dirty Meat for you boy! HAHAHAHAHA!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 176/122/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%/16%/17%
Progress: 106%

I thought the Vegan Girl Friend was a bit annoying.

I saw this when it was here a while back for the DC film festival. It was okay -- I don't really see what all the buzz is about though.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 09:17

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I keep planning to see it... I am actually going to go with several vegan friends so this should be interesting.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 12:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The best part was the interview with the lawyer of the girl who was suing McDonalds for her obesity. They asked him why he was suing McDonalds and he said something like, "You mean, other than for the obvious monetary reasons? You want me to come up with some kind of noble purpose?"
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 12:24

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 239/235/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Who wants to know?
Progress: 4%

Quote:
You mean, other than for the obvious monetary reasons? You want me to come up with some kind of noble purpose?"

LMAO at that one!!

What these people fail to understand that it is the COMBINATION of high fat and high carb that is dangerous. It's sad that they all know so little still. I am surprised (well, not really) to know about the PCRM connection. Sick sad world I tell yah!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshoney1
LMAO at that one!!

What these people fail to understand that it is the COMBINATION of high fat and high carb that is dangerous. It's sad that they all know so little still. I am surprised (well, not really) to know about the PCRM connection. Sick sad world I tell yah!

The combination of high carb + high fat is very bad. It is also a euphemism for a high calorie diet. In other words, it's the portion sizes that are the problem. It always has been about calories.

However, I'm not so sure that high carb and fat is worse than very high carb. What I mean is, if you are running a calorie excess, I don't think it is better for those extra calories to be carbs as opposed to fat. I think higher fat and lower carb is always the better option, irregardless of total calorie levels. On equal calorie levels, I would expect the lower carb diets to protect metabolic integrity more so than the higher carb diets simply because carbohydrate level is a risk factor independent of total calories for contributing to insulin resistance.

While total energy intake is important, type of energy is also important. Carbs are such a quick burning fuel that in the body they mimic the effects of a high calorie diet, in that they force a great deal of energy in a short period of time. The over abundance of energy necessitates an insulin spike, and if you are insulin resistant the spike might have to be large. This is why insulin resistant people can't lose weight on normal restrictive levels of energy, if that energy is from carbohydrate... simple carbohydrate causes a hormonal reaction that is incongruent with energy intake for them.