Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%
Default Question about fat

I'm only 3 pounds from goal and have upped my fat intake considerably. I put extra mayo and butter on everything. My average fat percentage has been around 76-80%. It seems that these last 3 pounds don't want to go.

My question is this: When someone has those last few pounds to lose, should they decrease their fat intake?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 17:55
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 79%

As you move up the carb ladder, you should be decreasing your fat, accordingly.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 17:56

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%

Only 3 pounds eh..108lbs is pretty light weight, I would bet your body is holding on to those for dear life.

I would say stick with it normally, as long as you're in ketosis fat is being burned for energy. I think the 80%+ fat intakes are just to help get you into a ketosis, not improve it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 18:00

Code:
As you move up the carb ladder, you should be decreasing your fat, accordingly.

I'm planning on increasing my carbs once I get to my goal weight. I've pretty much stayed on induction since I started 3 months ago.I've read that for alot of people increasing their fat intake helps.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 18:45

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

At 5'4" in height, unless you are Asian or incredibly small boned, you are probably below a good weight for you. Losing weight by LC preserves and develops lean sleek muscle tissue while getting rid of fluffy fat. So you may weigh more than you expect when you really are at goal.

Your body will continue to change shape and fat distribution for a number of months after you approach a reasonable weight. So getting to a particular number that you chose out of the air, may not be the best idea. Be patient for 6 months and you may be quite surprised at how things change.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:05

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Oh good grief, I can just see the difficulties you are going to have maintaing already, and the fear you will feel of 'gaining it all back'...
I just hate reading posts like this becuase i know what is to come and it aint good.

You should not have gone a strict induction for 3 monts to lose 8 pounds. In particular, you shouldn't be upping your fats even further to lose 3 more. But you've done that now. The trick is now to sart slowly changing your thinking before you are in 'any change will make me gain my entire 11 pounds b ack' mindset..

Go read Atkins for life NOW. At this point you should be decreading fat, increasing carbs, maintaing adequate protein, and incorporating exercise. If you do not do these things it is not that you won't lose 3 pounds, its that we will all have to hear you in the maintence forum bemoaning your fear of yogurt/carrots/etc and not knowing how to maintain properly.

I am sorry if I sound harsh but I do get worried for people's health - including their mental wellbeing!!

(Oh, and at that height, the only way you are really going to lose 3 pounds is likely to involve exercise)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:29

mb99,

I've started HIIT training last week in addition to my already rigorous exercise every morning at 5 a.m. I'm fine in the exercise department. Yes, I admit I'm afraid of change. I've read many other posts from people who stay at induction levels for most of the time so I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. Thank you guys for your advice. I will be embarking on my OWL journey starting tomorrow.