Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 13:48

Plan: Metabolic Medical Center
Stats: 190/170/150 Female 5 ft. 2 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Can anyone educate me??

I am 24, and just found out last summer that my body creates too much insulin which contributes to my being over weight. I am on a low carb, low fat diet program prescribed by an endocrinologist. From September to Thanksgiving I lost approx. 25 lbs. and have been able to keep off 20 of that for the last few months. I take an insulin prescription, along with several different vitamins given to me by the doctor. As part of the weight loss program, they give me supplemental shakes which goes in place of breakfast and as an afternoon snack. For food, I am supposed to eat 6-8 oz of lean meat and 3-6 cups of veggies a day. I need and would like to lose 20 more lbs., but have become too lax about sticking more strictly to the diet, I guess since I feel like I have made much progress toward my goal. I guess I have learned what it takes for me to maintain, which makes me want to eat more of the things that are keeping me from losing. If there are any people that are in the same boat or can tell me about their situation, that would be great.

The other factor is that I have started exercising, about 3-5 times a week for no more than 30 minutes each time, as prescribed by my doctor. She gave me these exercise bars to eat when I work out, but they have a lot of stuff in them. She said if I didn't have enough calories that I wouldn't lose weight, just like ifyou don't eat enough you won't lose weight. I have just kind of plateaued and I don't know what to do to get unstuck.

Plus, I don't really understand the insulin thing so much, all I know is that I take Metformin for it, and they want my number to be below seven, when they check me on fasting bloodwork.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 13:55

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

LC doesn't = Low FAT.
I 'm sorry I won't go against your medical professional.
YOU might want to research ATKINS or Natural Hormone Enhancement NHE. And make you own decisions.
http://www.extique.com/

Jag
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 13:59
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I would question your doctor, I'm leery of any plan that expects you to eat a lot of bars and shakes... especially since they're likely expensive as well. I would ask her about a plan based on real food. If she won't consider it, a second opinion would be in order, IMO.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 14:16
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I agree with Potato and Jag -- low carb + low fat isn't healthy. Your body needs fat to carry vitamins, build cell structures, etc. Educate yourself and share the info with your doc. And find another if he won't work with you.

To put it bluntly, not every doctor graduates at the top of the class...and many of them never crack a book once they've graduated.

Reminds me of the joke -- what do you call someone who had a D average in med school? Doctor.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 14:36

Plan: Metabolic Medical Center
Stats: 190/170/150 Female 5 ft. 2 in.
BF:
Progress: 50%

How do you get all of the vitamins you need if mostly what you eat is meat?? ANd just doing what I am supposed to with this diet has cured a lot of other problems I have been having like indigestion and IBS, eczema (my skin has cleared but only since I have been doing this diet).

I am not a doctor, but maybe for a better explaination, I am on the first step of this program -- which is more stringent, the second step is to maintain. I have been maintaining quite well on my own. Once I go off of the more stringent, I stop losing.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 14:48
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

We don't just eat meat. We eat vegetables, fruit, cheese, fats, nuts, eggs, etc.

You should buy a low carb book in order to get the details of why LC works for so many people. Some good options are:

Dr. Atkins new Diet Revolution
Protein Power
How I gave up my Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds
Living the Low Carb Life
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 17:00

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My endocrinologist put me on a low carb eating plan but never mentioned low fat or any bars or shakes. just a list of real food so maybe a second opinion would be a good idea. is the food covered on your insurance? either way, they are making extra money off of it so of course she wants you to eat those. when you say the bars have a lot of "stuff" in them...what kind of "stuff"? good for you on the weight loss.....