Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:01

Plan: General
Stats: 229/196/125 Female 5'3""
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question how much did you lose before you got compliments

I was wondering how many pounds you lost before you got compliments/comments from other people? I have lost 11 pounds and haven't gotten a comment yet. I can feel that I have lost, but no one seems to have noticed yet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 20:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/154/125 Female 5ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 17%

I lost 13lbs, when people started noticing. But then again that was people I hadn't seen in forever at a family get together last thanksgiving.

You lose from different areas of your body everyone loses differently. So the lbs coming off you may be in unnoticable areas. Don't worry about it, you know it's working and eventually everyone else will as well. Remember though people you see daily are not going to notice the change much, because they see you so often. Congrats and good luck!

Bug
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 20:13

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I don't wait for compliments. I told all my friends at work what I'm doing and how much I've lost.

My aunt, who's a psychologist, once told me that many people won't say something because they're afraid you might not like it -- your weightloss could be due to illness, or you may not have lost weight at all, etc. So as far as I'm concerned, I have to let them know that I'm happy with it so they can be happy for me too. Also, when they know that I'm trying to lose weight, they are more supportive and make a point of noticing.

And as Lilbug said, if they see you every day, they may not be able to see it because it's a gradual process.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:00

Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

People didn't say anything until I lost 20 lb.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:04
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

It wasn't till last week that I got a compliment from a friend, I went to go visit her and she said I was getting all skinny on her.

Other than that my family compliments me daily.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:06

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

It took about 30lbs before someone noticed for me.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

In my case, its usually the people I haven't seen in some time. The few exceptions are my parents, a couple of my closest friends, and of all people, the supermarket employees. I am pretty sure others have noticed in my case and in the cases of many others on this site. Why haven't they mentioned it? Unfortunately, society has become very callous when it comes to weight. There are many who feel that the overweight are "FAT" because they choose to be that way. The popular belief is, "if you wanna lose weight, stop eating". We all here know that simply is not true. But to many, that is supposedly the answer to our problem. Then when you actually lose the weight, they naturally think, "I see they finally stopped eating". Sure, people lose weight that way but in the process have developed eating disorders and damaged their bodies to a point where they may be unrepairable. I personally have a friend who's older sister considers herself "FAT" at a whomping 91 pounds. She is only 42 years old but looks 72 years old. She bought into the idea that thin was the way to go, along with the idea that tanning beds are the key to looking your best. Well, her skin looks like a sunbaked desert as a result. I figure she has been doing the tanning bed two or more sessions a week ever since the tanning bed was created. Her sister told me that all she eats is a handful of crackers at night. The rest of the time she merely drinks water. I can say, I have known her for over 6 years and I have never seen her eating in my presence. In a way, I feel sorry for her because society and media failed her. They painted the idea of what the "NORM" should be in her head and she can't see reality in any other way. That's why I am glad her sister recently came to me and asked if I could help her on Atkins quest. She had a baby two years ago and the weight never left. Plus marriage life has added a few more pounds because of the way her husband is accustomed to eating. He likes Italian dishes on a nightly basis and she couldn't resist eating them as well. Being he is one of my best friends, he too asked me to help her get started. That to me, is the greatest compliment I could have ever received.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:10

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I lost about 15 when people started commenting. But a lot of it has to do with where you are losing it from, how often and how close people are, and how baggy your clothes are!
Many people mention that their weight loss wasn't noticed, even with pants that hang on them like drapes, until they get new clothes. This forces those around them to refocus.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:15

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

The obsession with being thin does seem like a hard one to overcome. I have a friend that looked amazing at 125lbs. She had curves in all the right places and turned heads everywhere she went.

However, she broke up with a guy about a year ago and when he left, he said she was getting fat. She'd put on maybe 5lbs over the previous 6 months and that killed her self image immediately. Now she's about 110lbs and has lost everything that made her attractive. The curves are gone, the healthy looking youth is gone. Now she looks 10 years older and like she's sick. And here's the kicker. Because she's not getting as many looks as she used to, she's convinced she has to lose MORE weight.

She's still dieting and noone can convince her to stop.

Seem to be some people that could fall into this trap on this forum as well. Seen a lot of girls around 115lbs that have lost ~30lbs and want to lose ~15 more. Women are supposed to have soft curves, its what attracts us to them.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:35

Stats: 259/229.5/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Haven't a clue
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Women are supposed to have soft curves, its what attracts us to them.

Hear hear! Even though I am still about 98 pounds overweight, I have the curves--just FAR more pronounced than I'd prefer!

I am part of a "Fat Busters" club at work, and I get compliments on how well I'm doing, and not on my looks. I actually prefer the positive reinforcement from my fat bustin' buddies than anyone else. Even though my weight may only drop by 0.5 pounds, I have a cheering squad to celebrate my loss. And if any of us gain weight, we have some accountability!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 07:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Whole Foods Diet
Stats: 193/133.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 103%

It was about 35# before people other than my immediate family said anything. If they noticed before that, they just didn't comment.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 07:57

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 239/235/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Who wants to know?
Progress: 4%

Twenty pounds here! People just started noticing for me. Yesterday one woman told me that I should not lose anymore weight. Hello????? I am still considered SEVERELY overweight by any standard. I think she was just looking for something to say.

It took 20 lbs for people to notice but if I had GAINED 5 lbs everybody would see it. DH compliments me daily and I motivate myself. Of course the spontaneous compliment is always nice but I cannot afford to make the outside world discourage me
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's harder to see on people you see all the time. I've been guilty of that. If I know someone is on a diet, I'll compliment them every time I see them!

I've lost about 30 of the 70 pounds I need to lose and still some people haven't said a word. But man, the ones that do, I want to put a gold star on their foreheads for being observant.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:23
Registered Member

Stats: 262/230/185 Male 6 ft
BF:39%/32.8%/15%
Progress: 42%

For me it was 25 pounds for people i hadn't seen in a while and at 30 pounds, people I saw more often made comments.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:28
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I guess it was around the 15 pound mark. They thought I had lost alot more tho.