Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "The rise of the Atkins Diet"

The rise of the Atkins Diet

The low-carb Atkins diet continues to garner criticism despite its growing popularity

By Lisa Catto, News Reporter, May 13, 2004

http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/d...3/40a3a8ad82af4

With the recent warm weather, many students may be looking for a quick way to lose weight for the traditional spring fashion trend of less clothing and more skin. One of the most popular weight-loss crazes right now is the Atkins diet, and even many large grocery chains have joined the bandwagon, offering a wide variety of low-carb food to cater to the Atkins crowd.

Atkins is a nutritional approach that changes traditional American eating habits and limits carbohydrate intake, according to http://www.atkins.com.

The first phase of the diet restricts carbohydrate intake to 20 grams per day, with most of that coming from salad and "non-starchy" vegetables, according to the Atkins Web site. The site claims the average American diet includes 200 to 300 carbohydrate grams per day. The remainder of the food eaten should be unprocessed meats, cheeses and fats such as olive oil and mayonnaise.

The next three phases allow dieters to incrementally increase the amount of carbohydrates they eat while still losing pounds until they reach their desired weight.

The site states that a human body primarily burns carbohydrates and fat for energy needs, but carbohydrates are the primary fuel to be metabolized. When an Atkins dieter cuts down on carbohydrate intake, his or her body switches primarily to burning fat.

Beth Naylor, a nutrition instructor at Lane Community College, said the Atkins diet is a good temporary way to learn how to eat less white flour and refined sugar, but she would not recommend it as a long-term diet. She said a diet so restrictive gets frustrating after a while.

"We need a connection with food," she said. "Atkins food doesn't do much to please your connection with the earth."

She also said relying on the Atkins brand for carb-friendly foods isn't necessarily healthy, either.

"I really object to the Atkins lifestyle," Naylor said. "It's a corporation. They're not an objective provider."

Senior political science major Barbara Penney has witnessed her dad and many others follow the Atkins diet. Penney's father has been doing Atkins for about two years, she said, adding that her father's weight has fluctuated over time but stabilized recently.

She said the diet seems to work well for him, but she doesn't like the restrictive eating plan. However, she said it encourages people to lose weight and improve their eating habits, but she doesn't think it is a good long-term lifestyle.

The Atkins Web site states the diet promotes good health and disease prevention by encouraging people to eat natural, sometimes organic, nutrient-dense foods. The diet also encourages the use of vitamin and mineral supplements and regular exercise.

Also, the site claims the Atkins diet prevents diseases in high-risk dieters, such as diabetes, by lowering carbohydrate intake and insulin production.

However, Atkins is not the diet for everyone.

Naylor said the kidneys get overworked processing all of the protein the diet proscribes[sic], and she added that people with kidney problems should not try Atkins.

Naylor also said a diet like Atkins can be very harmful to the environment. She said it isn't environmentally sound to mass produce farm animals and fish to be consumed for protein-based diets, and it is a burden on natural resources.

According to the Atkins site, one common concern people have about the diet is whether eating high levels of protein and fat will affect the body.

Penney cited this as one of her concerns with Atkins as well. She finds it hard to believe that a diet promoting the consumption of meats and foods heavy in fat such as mayonnaise and butter will help someone lose weight and maintain the weight loss.

"Anything in excess is a bad thing," Penney said. "It's a matter of moderation and balancing foods."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact the crime/health/safety reporter
at lisacatto~dailyemerald.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:42

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Naylor also said a diet like Atkins can be very harmful to the environment. She said it isn't environmentally sound to mass produce farm animals and fish to be consumed for protein-based diets, and it is a burden on natural resources.

So it's better to eat primarily carbs and have diabetes and maybe die an early death? Seriously, I could eat meat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I did that in the beginning month or two of Atkins, but afterwards I got sick of it and now I'd say I eat meat only once a day -- two at most. For an example, for lunch I had a 4oz grilled chicken salad. For dinner I plan to eat something else other than meat. I don't think I'm anywhere close to contribute to the "burden of natural resources".

And even if we, cumulatively, ate a lot more meat now, I'd rather people became more healthy as a result, than to die of obesity. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure out a more balance way of producing all this meat without ruining the environment.

Serri
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
"We need a connection with food," she said. "Atkins food doesn't do much to please your connection with the earth."

What on earth does this mean? Does my food come from outer-space? I think this person's brain might be in orbit...

Quote:
"Anything in excess is a bad thing," Penney said. "It's a matter of moderation and balancing foods."

Anyone else sick of hearing this?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 13:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

The typical balanced diet (Day 1):

Breakfast:
fruit juice (sugar)
cereal (starch/sugar)
tea/coffee with cream and sugar

Brunch:
donuts (starch/sugar/transfats)
tea/coffee with cream and sugar

Lunch:
meat/fish (bread) sandwich (starch/sugar)
dessert (starch/sugar)
tea/coffee with cream and sugar and/or soft drink (sugar)

Dinner:
salad with lots of sugary salad dressing
potatoes and corn (starch/sugar)
pasta (starch/sugar + zero nutrients)
brocolli (0 nutrients after the microwave)
dessert (starch/sugar)

Movietime:
soda (sugar)
chips (transfats/starches)
chocolate (sugar)
popcorn (starch)

Bedtime:
chocolate milk (sugar)

* any of the above can be substituted with pancakes and light syrup

Last edited by woodpecker : Thu, May-13-04 at 18:57.